Beta Notes...

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by qednick, Apr 7, 2006.

1. qednick

qednick Bit poster

I downloaded the beta last night and installed it onto my MacBookPro. What a fantastic piece of software this is!! The speed increase over MS VPC for PowerPC is incredible and is certainly very usable.

I prefer to use a Mac for all usual computing except when I have to program some Windows software. This used to mean me carrying 2 laptops when travelling. Currently I use the Mac version of microsoft's remote desktop client to have a "Windows PC" in a window on my Mac but it's limited by network speed, etc. Parallels Workstation is MUCH MUCH better.

Anyway, I had some trouble setting up the networking on the VM to use the built in Airport but I did manage to get it working after some battling with it. For anyone who has similar issue here's what I did: I opened the status for the [dead] network connection in XP and changed the settings for TCP/IP so it was using manually entered IP address and DNS server address. If you're not sure what settings to use and have another [real] XP machine running somewhere on your network, get the status open for that connection and use all the same settings (except the actual IP address for the VM which needs to be different and unique on the LAN).

Another issue I've spotted is there's no sound support yet.

Then, I've had some difficulties using the CD/DVD drive. It works fine with ISO images.

Finally, I just wanted to say that I simply can't wait till you guys get the release out with these bugs fixed. I will definitely buy it for sure!!