Beta6 breaks ethernet

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by mandola11, May 6, 2006.

1. mandola11

mandola11 Bit poster

I installed beta6 on my MacBook Pro, afterwhich I could not use my ethernet port. I removed beta6 using a recently post uninstall script and my ethernet is back. As a note my airport worked fine.

2. Andrew @ Parallels

Andrew @ Parallels Parallels Team

Thanks for reporting - we will investigate this issue.

3. Adrian

Adrian Junior Member

This also happened for me un Beta 6 ....

My solution so far has been to manually delete one of the Parallels Connections (not the eth2, but the other one). Once I did this, my Ethernet (cabled connection) was back, and my mini booted faster (I had noticed that it was taking my mini around 3 minutes longer to load other kernel extensions - specifically Intego extensions).

Having deleted this entry has resulted in me no longer being able to select host only networking in the VM setup, but I have not been using this connection type - so it suits my purpose.

4. Same problem here. My system preferences : Network Configuration was showing that the Parallels driver was connected to the network with a valid IP address but that the OS X standard Ethernet was 'Not Connected'. It looked like the parallel's driver was grabbing the connection. Note that Parallels was not running and this happened after a reboot. I disabled the driver from the Network Configuration and rebooted, still could not get to the network.

Removed the drivers (uninstalled the toolkit) form with XP (Parallels) and the problem is still there. Will try rebooting and then uninstalling Parallels and report results.

I did not see this problem with Beta 5 but may have not used it enough for this lock out to occur.

5. Just tried rebooting and then uninstalling Parallels according to the script information elsewhere in this forum. Rebooted, still can not find the Ethernet cable.

Any other suggestions to restore this without doing a recovery form OSX itself?

6. I ended up reinstalling OS X over the old version (now have a quick restore version). Nothing lost and the ethernet port is back.

There is something that the install script I found elsewhere in these forums (plus the extra two lines that someone added) did not handle properly, at least in my case.

7. skrotz

skrotz Bit poster

I have a similar problem, same symptoms except it is my airport networking that does not work anymore. I was using airport networking only, and bridging that to get networking in my VM's. That stopped working as of beta 6 and now I have to use wired networking. I really don't want to have to re-install OS X to fix this problem, very annoying.