Blackberry Under Parallels 4.0

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by Knocka, Nov 13, 2008.

1. Knocka

Knocka Junior Member

I am having a problem with maintaining a connection between my Blackberry Bold and Desktop Manager v.4.6 under Parallels v. 4.0. I am able to establish the connection, but when I perform a backup, it freezes on the Address Book - All Database. If I try without this database selected, it fails on Messages. The exact same backup works perfectly under VM Ware Fusion 2.0 and on my Windows PC, so I KNOW that there is no database corruption on my Blackberry that is causing the issue.

I stopped using Parallels 3.0 because my Blackberry would not remain connected to Desktop Manager. I prefer Parallels to VM Ware, but the Blackberry connectivity being reliable is crucial.

What is going on here? Why can't Parallels get this issue straightened out?

2. Knocka

Knocka Junior Member

Can anyone recommend a solution?

3. waldhaus1

waldhaus1 Bit poster

Upgrading will depend on blackberry functionality

I am awaiting decision re upgrade until I learn if it will be compatible with my blackberry.

4. Knocka

Knocka Junior Member

In my view, this is a major, and ongoing, problem with Parallels. I really have no option but to use VMWare Fusion.

5. Alexander Haltman

Alexander Haltman Parallels Developers

Hi, Knocka.

Can you generate problem report in your PD4.0?
    Please, do it right after your BlackBerry Bold freeze on backup in guest os.
    Then, send this problem report to our support (just press send button in problem report generation window)
    And post the problem report number her.

6. Knocka

Knocka Junior Member

Done. ID 14588.

7. cutter

cutter Bit poster

Please, update your PD to PD Update 1 Hotfix (http://forum.parallels.com/showthread.php?t=31764)
    And check your problem on that build.
    It seems that the bug fixed.
    Thanks!

8. SteveBosell

SteveBosell Junior Member

I am having the same problem,
    Initially my XP VM sees my blackberry, however when I start using the Blackberry Desktop Manager, I lose the connection somewhere along the way. I can no longer check the "Research In Motion...." USB device under the menu, I need to completley reboot to get it back.

Attached Files:

9. SteveBosell

3540 did not resolve this issue for me.

10. Alexander Haltman

Thanks for problem report, Knocka.
    We will fix problem as soon as possible.

11. Alexander Haltman

SteveBosell, to undestend situation we need some technical info about host os, guest os and BlackBerry model.
    Problem report contains all this iformation. Please, generate it, send to our server and post problem report id here.

12. SteveBosell

I sent a problem report about a week ago, and I just created a new one, 17940.
    This time I was able to transfer some media to the blackberry, before it lost connectivity. A complete reboot of OS X is required to get it back.

13. Alexander Haltman

Thanks, SteveBosell.
    We working on this problem.

14. jwjohnson99

jwjohnson99 Member

I've got a BlackBerry Storm that I am just trying to sync/update for the first time today. I'm running the Desktop Manager software - version 4.7. I'm having a very similar problem to those described above. The update or sync process freezes at some point and the CPU utilization of prl_vm_app goes to 100% and remains there until a reboot of OSX. I was able to complete one out of about five attempts. The others all resulted in the problem described above. I submitted a problem report (id 18354).

15. MITCH1167

MITCH1167 Bit poster

Same Problem Blackberry and Parallels 4

Blackberry Desktop 4.7, Blackberry Curve, Parallels 4 Build 4.0.3540. Same problem, except I only EVER got it to recognize it ONCE for about a minute, started a backup and then didnt get it recognized again. After reading this thread, I did not bother to reboot the Mac again since getting it half recognized without the ability to finish a sync or a backup is not really useful anyway. I AM able to consistently get it recognized AND do a full sync using Pocketmac on the Mac side so I know the cable, the handheld itself, etc is working fine. Also, the handheld DOES consistently show up in the Device list in Parallels under USB but wont select per se... or STAY selected would be more accurate. I have spend MANY MANY hours on this and my client is less than pleased. I would say with some confidence, as I have been doing this for over 20 years and consider myself a blackberry expert, that the problem lies somewhere within parallels.

HELP!!!!

16. ecb1171

ecb1171 Bit poster

Blackberry Bold with 3540 build....similar issues

Here's what's happening to me....

I have a Blackbery Bold that will show up in the list of USB devices in the lower right corner of the parallels screen, but when I click on the device (which shows up RIM Composite) the Bold will not be seen by Windows. If I keep selecting the device long enough (this can go on for several minutes) one of 2 things will happen:

1) The Mac OS freezes, causing a reboot
    2) Eventualy, the Bold is recognized by Windows.

Once the device is recognized, it stays connected until I disconnect.

Last week, I had similar issues with the Blacbkerry Storm. but that device was actualy seen by Windows 90% of the time and only occasionaly disconnected. So, the Storm played much more nicely with Parallels than the Bold

17. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

Please submit report when you are connecting device to VM and post here ID, plus the exact model of device

18. Amuk

Amuk Bit poster

Alexander -

I'm running Parallels 4.0 Build 4.0.3940. I'm trying to get my Blackberry 8830 desktop to sync consistently. I attach it to the back of my Imac via USB. The parallels USB devices reads it (says "Research in Motion - Black berry handheld") but I'm unable to check it and thus my black berry Desktop won't recognize it. I'm running XP. This is driving me nuts! Please help..

19. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

Screenshot please, for situation.
    Is it selected?

20. Amuk

Amuk Bit poster

Blackberry can't be selected

I see the Research in motion blackberry handheld in the USB drop down, but it won't let me select it.

Here's a screenshot. Please let me know if you need something else.

Thanks...

Attached Files:

• ss1.jpg
      ss1.jpg
      File size:
      604.3 KB
      Views: