Bonjour can't keep printer in sight

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by drdsgolf, Jul 6, 2007.

1. drdsgolf

drdsgolf Bit poster

I have an Apple Airport Express at home for all our computers, including 4 Macs and a Dell notebook. I have an Epson C86 hooked up to the Express as a network computer and all the computers print to it without any difficulty. The Dell notebook uses Bonjour to print to the Epson as a network printer. I have a new Macbook with the latest Parallels up and running. I downloaded and installed the Epson C86 drivers for Windows XP and downloaded and installed Bonjour for Windows. When I open the Bonjour window on the Macbook in my Windows desktop, the Epson printer appears in the window, but about 5-8 seconds later it disappears before I can do anything with it. Each time I open Bonjour the same things happens. Any thoughts?

ds

2. Purplish

Purplish Forum Maven

I suspect that the drivers you installed are trying to connect locally. I would try the following:

In your XP on Parallels, remove the drivers that you installed, using Windows Add/Remove Programs.

Reboot XP

Run the Bonjour Wizard Again and select your wireless printer. If you do not see your printer driver as a choice, select "Generic Postscript" as driver.

3. drdsgolf

drdsgolf Bit poster

Didn't work. There are a numbers of ways to connect to a network printer, Bonjour is one of them. I tried them all. Once I removed the driver on the Windows side, Bonjour didn't even recognize the Epson. I tried adding the printer a number of ways. I'm thinking I might have better luck with a full reboot with Bootcamp. If that's true, I'll be sorry I paid the $75 for Parallels.

4. robert123

robert123 Bit poster

did you switch on sharing?

did you go to mac preferances > printers & fax > sharing and turn on "share these printers....."?

I had trouble with Bonjour before I switched this setting on and then it worked.

5. Mike Boreham

Mike Boreham Pro

I had a similar problem to the OP...all printers on the network found by Bonjour, but disappearing after five secs or so.

I changed the VM configuration to Bridged Ethernet and Bonjour worked fine and I can print.

6. jackybe67

jackybe67 Pro

7. Mike Boreham

Mike Boreham Pro

Yes I did have the latest version. It had the same problem until I changed to Bridged Ethernet.