Boot Camp Ruined - manual removal?

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by haralds, Mar 16, 2007.

1. haralds

haralds Member

After the current version seemed to perform very well, I decided to try booting from Boot Camp.

Suprise, it installs the tools on its own. I leave it alone. SUPRISE! It hangs. Suprise, on rebooting a second time it does it again.

When rebooting into Boot Camp, the system BSODs on the chime at login. Safe boot does ok, but you cannot work that way. Restoring the registry to last good config does not change the situation.

When I boot into my virtual partition with Boot Camp as D:, it does not look like tools are installed. But it sure looks like there is a bad driver some place.

I cannot find any docs on what gets installed, and there is no removal tool in Add Remove, because of the freeze.

I suspect, since there is ZERO support even on the boards, this whole thing is a secret, and I have to reinstall. But I have a faint hope, somebody might have a list of what gets installed where, and what registry items are tweaked. This would not be hard to document.

Most of my R&D group and all our servers are on VMWare, I can see that with this experience it will not change....

PS designing this sort of thing to run "behind the scenes" withhout ability of user intervention or information is irresponsible engineering.

2. tomservo291

tomservo291 Member

I haven't checked just now, but I seem to remember that you need to boot windows from Parallels to be able to uninstall Parallels Tools from Add/Remove programs.

Just a thought, may want to give it a shot. I know I've seen it there, and I'm 99% sure it's only when you are running it through Parallels.

I would think the quickest and easiest way to "restore" windows to a non-parallels state would be to boot in parallels, remove parallels tools... shutdown immediately, boot through boot camp and re-install all of the boot camp drivers.

3. haralds

haralds Member

Well, the trouble is that it will not boot.... on either system now.

4. rnwjr

rnwjr Bit poster

I am having the same problem on my iMac 24".... For some reason Parallels for Bootcamp hung and then I booted using bootcamp hit F8 and had to load it using Windows XP not the Parallels selection so I can get into Windows, however it is as task... I then removed Parallels for Bootcamp and when I restart into Bootcamp I have to hit F8 and go in that way... I am not sure how to repair the registry and I am not even sure how to reinstall Parallels for bootcamp at this point... Is there any suggestions or a fix?

5. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

Typically, try your hardest to get in via Paralells to un-install the tools, this is the way you usually have to do it... You can always try to virtually add that partition as a second drive and dump your data to a new one...

6. mattpeyton

mattpeyton Bit poster

I'm having the same issue. Did you ever figure it out? When I boot from either parallels or bootcamp in safe mode with command prompt I get a hang at drivers\mup.sys

If I had known this program would replace things inside the XP install with proprietary versions I would have never considered using it!

7. PrinceZordar

PrinceZordar Member

I had the HAL.DLL problem posted by others, but managed to fix it. I had to boot from an XP Pro SP2 CD and go into Recovery Console. BOOTCFG was able to rebuild the boot.ini file (somehow it got confused over which hardware layer it was supposed to use) and get back into Windows. It spent 5 minutes cleaning up corrupted files, but it's now working okay.

Don't know if this will help you at all, but be careful what you do from Recovery Console - you can trash it even worse.

-Z