Boot.ini gets changed and windows shutdown abnormally message

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by twilliams, Feb 3, 2007.

1. twilliams

twilliams Bit poster

I have not seen these items mentioned but they are causing me lots of greif.

I started of with build 3120 and a fresh bootcamp install. At first I got the dreaded missing hal.dll when try to boot back into bootcamp after using 3120. I followed one of the other threads and recovered form this error by editing the boot.ini file. Everytime I shut down windows in parallels I get a message at the VM config screen that windows was not shut down properly and I should reboot into parallels again, done this many many times and still get the message. Also in the boot.ini I want to change the time to display the configs to something other than 1 second, everytime I do this parallels changes it back to 1 second and also messes up the bootcamp config.

I am now using 3150 and still having all the same problems.

I am using a FAT32 drive if that makes a difference.

2. erutherford

erutherford Junior Member

I am having the same issue with my boot.ini file getting hosed. I have still not received a response from the testing team nor have I received a response in the forums.

3. nycruza

nycruza Hunter

You - rather WE are the testing team.
    That's what Beta users do/are - TESTERS!

No response could mean 2 things.

1. No one has the answer
    2. It has been covered before and the answer is available if one does a search

Personally, I do not have an answer.

ajm

4. erutherford

erutherford Junior Member

I have searched the forums for the boot.ini and found nothing cept people referencing issues with booting into boot camp partition using parallels. I don't have an issue with that. Its actually booting into Boot Camp where I have the issue. That is where I am recieving the Hal.Dll Error.

5. nycruza

nycruza Hunter

Problems with HAL have been extensively covered!
    BTW
    The original post dealt with boot.ini NOT HAL issues.

ajm

6. aero320

aero320 Member

hal.dll and Boot Camp

I have had the same problems in booting in Boot Camp after a crash in Parallels. I finally gave up and backed up OS X using the Backup function from .mac. Then reinstalled OS X and got everything working again.

A VM is easy to backup since you just have to copy the .hdd file. I read about a program called WinClone last night that allows the same type of backup with the Boot Camp partition. I may try that approach later so that when my boot.ini file gets corrupted and i get the hal.dll messages it will be very easy to recover.

7. mrchin

mrchin Bit poster

I don't know if mine's a boot.ini error but ˆ'm assuming I have the same issue. It's crashed before in parallels but has recoered. Since, I have been unable to boot in boot camp. Just boots to black and within 15 seconds, just restarts into OS X. I can even F4 to choose safe mode but it just restarts. Booted from my Original XP SP2 CD and am able to get to the recovery of XP but after entering my user password, it just goes to the C;WINDOWS prompt and nothing.