Boot VM from external hard drive

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by BladeRunner, Oct 19, 2008.

1. BladeRunner

BladeRunner Junior Member

My system runs OS X 10.5.5 and Parallels 3.0 build 5608. I have WinXP Pro installed and running from a virtual drive and that is fine. I have an external drive which contains openSUSE V11 which I must dual boot to use. I would like to define a new VM to Parallesl for SUSE Linux and point to the external hard drive in place of a virtual drive. It would save me a re-install & configuration for the openSuse system.

I think I saw information on how to do that several months ago but I was not interested in it at the time and now I can't locate the information. I have tried every search parameter I can think of with no luck.

Can anyone help point me to the data I need? Is what I want to do even possible or was it just a figment of my imagination?

Thanks in advance for any help,
    BladeRunner

2. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

Unfortunately , you cannot use real installation as source for VM officially
    If you can start this VM on PC , you can use transporter and migrate Suse to VM

3. BladeRunner

Well, not the answer I hoped for, but an answer non the less. At least I can quit searching and move on to a different solution. Thanks for the reply.

4. BladeRunner

Transporter won't install

Well, I took your suggestion and tried to install transporter. Problem is, the agent fails to install.

The error message comes just after the message about unpacking the source. Then it says the compile failed and says to check the log. I have searched in /root, /var and all it's sub-directories. No log relating to parallels agent could be found.

I had the kernel source and headers installed. I also re-installed them. Still no luck. the Transporter agent would not compile the kernel module and the install failed.

I need your help.

---------
    BladeRunner

5. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

Please see Private message