Bootcamp & Parallels???

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by jbwjim, Jul 31, 2006.

1. jbwjim

jbwjim Junior Member

I currently have boot camp installed and have also purchased parallels. I'm OK with Bootcamp in that it runs the programs that I need it to run, but have been reading what people are posting here and would like to give it a try, but don't want to lose all the stuff I already have loaded in Windows. Is it possible to have Parallels installed along with Bootcamp. Thanks in advance............JIM:)

2. constant

constant Forum Maven

You can run them both. If you run Parallels(workstation) inside your bootcamp windohs, then you can run them both at the same time.

If you have Workstation installed in bootcamp, you can share data between Parallels Workstation and bootcamp windohs. If you have Desktop installed in OSX, you can share data between Parallels Desktop and OSX. No other combination of data sharing can be accomplished with the hardware setup you have described.

Generally speeking, programs can not be transfered between any windoes installations regardless of whether the environment is native, virtualized, or partitioned.

3. jbwjim

jbwjim Junior Member

If I install Parallels Desktop, will I need to Re-install Windows again, or can I use the version that is installed with Bootcamp?? Thanks for all your help......:rolleyes:

4. unused_user_name

unused_user_name Pro

You *may* be able to use the same key for both installations (see below), but you can not simply tell Parallels to use your existing installation. Parallels has said that using the bootcamp partition as a virtual machine is a feature for a future release. I'm not sure if it's slated for the incremental release or the next full point release. Anyone know?

About XP keys: It looks like sometimes MS okays using the same key for XP in the VM as on bootcamp, and sometimes they do not. See the other threads on thie forum on that topic for more.

5. constant

constant Forum Maven

I believe some have tried this, however I am unaware of their degree of success. That said, windohs is very prone to problems when so much hardware is changed without a reinstall. I would never consider moving a bootcamp install because of the very high risk of instability in windohs.