BSOD after Suspend/Resume

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop 3.0 for Mac Public Beta' started by jasonw, Nov 3, 2007.

1. jasonw

jasonw

I have Parallels set to suspend on Cmd-Q and this has been working well up until I installed #5540. Now upon resume I see the "Please wait while virtual machine is resuming..." and then the VM BSODs and restarts. After the VM restarts "The system has recovered from a serious error." shows which has the standard mini-dump. I can email the dump data if required. The error signature is:

BCCode : 100000d1 BCP1 : FFFFFEF8 BCP2 : 000000FF BCP3 : 00000000
    BCP4 : FFFFFEF8 OSVer : 5_1_2600 SP : 2_0 Product : 256_1

P.S. I uploaded a 1:1 screenshot (640x480) in PNG format but it got scaled badly by the forum.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 3, 2007
  2. hschneider

hschneider Kilo Poster

I have exactly the same error on my MacPro / 7 GB RAM.
    A copy of the same VM works without any problems on my MacBook Pro / 4 GB RAM.

In the dark ages of physical Windows, this meant a hardware conflict ...

-- Harald

3. hschneider

hschneider Kilo Poster

Some additional info:
    After clicking resume, the taskbar appears in coherence mode for some seconds. Time is not synced at this point and the taskbar is not responsive. After a few seconds it crashes with the BSOD.

Maybe it happens at that point when Parallels Tools or some other services are resumed ...

-- Harald

4. jasonw

jasonw

Mine goes straight to BSOD after the resuming sheet disappears without any Windows windows showing. I run my VM exclusively in Coherence mode.

5. hschneider

hschneider Kilo Poster

Mine runs exclusively in Coherence mode too, but the error is exaclty the same: IRQ_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL ..

6. jasonw

jasonw

Any comments from Parallels about this?

7. AlanH

AlanH Kilo Poster

I reported something that sounds the same as this here.

Following a prompt from Parallels support in that thread, I have included a video link that shows the sequence, as I could not see the error text on the blue screen - it disappeared too fast. I tried sending the error message that comes up after the reboot to Microsoft, and it came back with an indication that the sound driver appears to have caused the problem. That's all in the video capture.

8. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

Hello all,

There is a general advise: please check, if you have any .sav or .mem files in your VM folder when VM is not running (the default path is: Documents-Parallels-Virtual Machine). If you find these files, you should delete them.

Then, before starting Windows, please go to Configuration Editor and remove drivers that could cause the error, such as Sound, Network Adapter etc. Click OK.

When you start, you should go to Parallels Desktop -> Preferences -> Memory and put check in the box at Enable virtual memory preallocation.

Please let me know if this will help.
    We are sorry for the inconvenience caused.

Best regards,
    Xenos

9. jasonw

jasonw

No .sav/.mem files when VM is not running or suspended. Removed printer & audio, no USB devices configured. Enabled pre-allocation.

Booted to desktop, waited for disk to idle, hit Cmd-Q to suspend and then attemped resume. I am greeted with a BSOD.

Removed bridged network adapter. Windows activation triggered :(

Suspend/resumed worked fine. 2nd suspend/resume attempt BSODd with same code.

Restored networking and sound config from backup .pvs (while hoping restoring with the same MAC address will assist re-activation). Activation still triggering. Attempt to activate while crossing fingers (it's a legit version, why am I going through this crap?) It activates. *phew*

Okay, that didn't help.

Would the minidump be useful at all? (I offered it in the original post, but no requests for it thus far).

10. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

jasonw, we can not reproduce the issue you're describing. Could you help us?
    Please, check your PM.

Best regards,
    Xenos

11. operator911

operator911

Have the same problem. have resorted to simply shutting down WinXP when shutting down Parallels VM. How can I help troubleshoot this? Also no .sav or .mem files, and virtual memory pre-allocated.

12. hschneider

hschneider Kilo Poster

Meanwhile I have the same issue on my MacPro and my MacBookPro as well.

-- Harald

13. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

Hello,

The issue is under serious investigation. Please check your PM. Thank you for cooperation.

Best regards,
    Xenos

14. jasonw

jasonw

Sorry for the delay, for some reason I haven't received my subscription notification emails or any private message emails since my last post. Nothing showing in my mail server logs either.

15. jasonw

jasonw

This issue no longer reproduces for me with #5580. Thanks.

16. hschneider

hschneider Kilo Poster

Yes, everything is OK now.

Thank you very much,
    Harald

17. hschneider

hschneider Kilo Poster

I had the samt BSOD this morning again: IRQ_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
    It does not happen every time, but it is still there.

-- Harald

18. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

19. hschneider

hschneider Kilo Poster

I have !

-- Harald

20. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

The BSOD might be caused by Windows drivers conflict. Please repair Windows installation to get standard drivers.
    I'd also like to bring your attention to the fact that 5580 is not an official release yet, this is a release candidate. Parallels team recommends testing it on a clean VM.

Best regards,
    Xenos