BSOD after transport : bad_pool_caller

Discussion in 'Parallels Transporter' started by btanner, Feb 14, 2007.

1. btanner

btanner Bit poster

Trying to get my dad's Toshiba Laptop Windows XP install into Parallels as an image on his core2duo Macbook pro.

I ran transporter on the Toshiba, and created hdd and pvs files on that machine. Then I transferred them to a USB external hard drive. Then, on the Macbook pro, I tried to import this image. Seemed like it worked.

When booting windows in parallels, blue screen of death comes up very early in the boot process, almost right after the Windows picture comes up with the progress bar along the bottom. It says bad_pool_caller.

I tried to boot into safe mode, and that works just fine. I was attacked by hardware install boxes and also some boxes that I think were started by parallels, but I can't know for sure. It said it was doing PNP stuff for a long time, and then the boxes went away, and the machine rebooted. Again, BSOD. So, I go into safe mode, and try and install parallels tool... but it says it can't do it cause it's already started, and I should reboot. That's hopeless.

This machine had Norton antivirus on it (I've found in the past that NAV can cause some problems at booting that go away in safe mode). I don't really know what to try next. I've tried going into services and disabling everything that I think I can possibly get by without, but that hasn't seemed to help. Any suggestions?

2. summitscout

summitscout Hunter

I have the same equipment on both ends and got the same error as well. I also tried to repair with XP install but no success.

This error has already been reported to engineers. I am waiting, at this point, for the next release.

3. cmccluskey

cmccluskey Bit poster

I think I got something.

I had much the same problem with an S75 series Toshiba notebook. I transferred the HD contents via the Arconis procedure described here in the forums, but had the same issue.

It turns out that it is a driver issue.

Note: This procedure is rough, and could cause damage to the image. Please do this on a backup copy.

Via Parallels and the Toshiba HDD image, I booted the XP Pro with SP2 CD (OEM).
    I entered the CLI Repair console by hitting "r" after booting off the CD and load of the base drivers.
    In comparing the contents of %SYSTEM%\Windows\system32\drivers I noticed many differences between my desktop system and the Notebook image. So I DEL-ed the following drivers (the * items are drivers that I would try first if you want to be more surgical about it):
    All drivers starting with ati
    alcxsens.sys
    alcxwdm.sys
    battc.sys
    cmbatt.sys
    compbatt.sys
    csvirta/sys
    cvirta.sys
    cvpndwn.sys
    d347bus.sys *
    d347prt.sys *
    dkbffltr.sys
    dne2000.sys *
    ecioctl.sys
    ems7sk.sys *
    epiomngr.sys
    esd7sk.sys *
    esm7sk.sys *
    ftdbbus.sys
    ftdisk.sys (unable to remove)
    ftser2k.sys (unable to remove)
    gearaspwdm.sys
    hkdrv.sys
    intelide.sys *
    mde8021x.sys
    meiudf.sys
    npf.sys
    rtlnic51.sys *
    ser2pl.sys
    smcirda.sys *
    smcirda.sy_ *
    snapman.sys
    tifsfilt.sys
    timntr.sys
    upatc.sys
    usbaudio.sys *

After removing these drivers the BSOD changed from a BAD_POOL_CALLER to a normal one due to missing drivers. So I booted under the XP Install CD again, and did a repair (not the console based one, but the one that happens after it looks for any existing installation of windows). It looks like it's reinstalling, but the setting are preserved.

Viola! It booted.

On startup I got various messages about startup items not be able to load or find a driver (cause I just deleted them). If you are more surgical about this this may not be an issue for you -- since you may leave most of these drivers on the system image. But I was able to work around the issue with the msconfig command and will look to cleaning up the various .../run/ registry keys later (like HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run) to fix it permanently.

The only other possible side effect right now is a lack of the PRL Virtual CD to load (but that may be a Beta thing).

Hope this helps.

4. summitscout

summitscout Hunter

Anyone Transported a Toshiba?!?

MacBook Pro Core 2 Duo, 2 GB RAM, Windows XP Professional

Installed 1970 (and all subsequent builds), Windows XP manually. Seems to work ok.

Used every build and transporter release to migrate 21+ GB data from Toshiba Satellite M35X-S349 running XP Pro SP. After several failed attempts, transferred data successfully. From this thread, it would appear that transporting Toshibas is a challenging proposition.

Problem: upon bootup, get a Blue SOD which states error: BAD_POOL_CALLER. I can start in safe mode, but windows does not recognize 'other PCI bridge'. Also tried to manually install parallels video driver but it would not install.

I was not able to repair transported volume with recovery console of install CD. I tried fixboot and fixmbr either not effective. I am not that much of a Windows geek so maybe there's some other command I should have run.

Maybe some adjustments have been made in the latest release since none of the files listed above appeared in this latest transported drive where they appeared in previous releases. Then I had the start-up disk repair the windows installation. None were successful.

Is this BAD_POOL_CALLER thing an anomaly or is it happening to all Toshibas? Anyone, what do I need to do to get up and running short of reinstalling everything by hand? I've had my MacBookPro for 2 months now and am still working off my Toshiba because I can't transfer.

If you have any other suggestions other than wait a few weeks for the new release, I would appreciate receiving them. Thanks! -steve

Attached Files:

5. pak150

pak150 Bit poster

I had the same problem and think it involves Parallels Tools not installing correctly on a transported file. To fix the error I went to my /library/Parallals/Tools folder, opened up the vmtools.iso folder, and the burned all of the files to a CD.

I then booted XP into safe mode (which worked for me), and ran the Parallels Tools setup file on the CD (for some reason, if I configured the VM to use the .iso file as a CD, I would get a BSOD in safe mode also).

After installing parallels tools, everything worked perfectly.

The only caveat with this method is it requires you to be able to boot into safe mode

6. spuf

spuf Bit poster

Ditto to all but got it eventually simply

My BSOD bad_pool_caller occured by accepting an update from Parallels using a 2.x series. I would get endless cycles of re-booting accept for safe mode. I had to uninstall Parallels and installed an earlier version which was OK with minor bugs, I lost copy and paste sharing for example and if I went to install the Tools, good old BSOD would come back though it would continue and just tell me Windoze had just recovered from a serious error, nothing ususual there but left in a partially fixed state, hardware found (PCI bridge etc) and drivers could not found, res was a bit screwed too and NOTE the Parallels Tools icon was no longer in the system tray (btm right for PC newbies). I had updated builds to this point and then awaited 3.0 in the hope it would be fixed, alas no but only in this Install Parallel Tools from the Actions menu respect. So reading this forum I tried a couple of things, uninstall via Add/Remove CP, both in normal and safe mode told me the same stupid message about needing the VM to to be running which is clearly already was, so what I did in safe mode was simply to use the install Parallels Tools from the Actions menu again and away it went, told to restart and it is fixed. Can't say I am happy though esp with the impending realease of Leopard with built in new style of Boot Camp. I have bought over 15 copies of Parallels now and 4 upgrades (for the dept I work in)

7. SCUser

SCUser Junior Member

More of the same

I have a Toshiba notebook, XP Pro, which results in BSOD with BAD_PooL_Caller. I am using the newest Transporter and I have tried all of these suggestions (plus others) to work around. The tools give me a "reboot to finish installation" (from safe mode) and have been at least partially installed (the mouse, for example works).

I have tried to move the Toshiba to Fusion as well with exactly the same result (BSOD with Bad_Pool). The notebook runs reliably in non-vm mode.

Does anyone have any other suggestions?

I was somewhat surprised that this issue has not been resolved by the Parallels team as some of these comments date back to 2006.

As some others, I am hoping to complete the move to my new iMac as soon I can capture my notebook information.

Many thanks for any thoughts.

8. symantix

symantix Bit poster

I just got my copy of parallels yesterday (newest build) and tried to tranport my 3 year old dell onto my brand new iMac.

I have the exact same problem (BSOD, Bad Pool). I can't even restart in safe mode. Is there any official fix for this from the parellels team??

9. SCUser

SCUser Junior Member

"Working on it"

I have tried all of the items described above. The item that may work for you that is commonly suggested is to try to repair windows. From the preferences you have the option of booting from a windows disc. If you boot from this you get an offer to repair if you have a recovery disk. Since you probably don't you click to continue. It then begins the "install" procedure. After is copies files for a couple of minutes it comes up with the request "where to install?" if you select you existing vm disk, it offers to repair it for you.

This again takes several minutes. Some people have reported this as working for them, however, they then need to re-download any older drivers that have been repaired. Which is a pain, but if you really need your existing windows, worth the trouble.

For myself, since the bad_pool is coming from a Toshiba "feature" (in your case dell), the repair does nothing and I am left in worse condition than when I started as I can no longer go into safe mode and try anything else.

I have deleted the toshiba drivers that I can identify (dell in your case). I found one that "really looked like it may be the culprit", however, no joy.

I have purchased a phone support and am hoping to get some tech support. If I resolve the issue I will post and give Parallels Tech support 1 attaboy. Unfortunately at this point I only have several "awh shoots".

Wishing you the best of luck, but since I am a determinist, I don't believe in luck. Chance, yes, Luck no.

10. SCUser

SCUser Junior Member

Tech Support says they don't have a solution.

I have just paid my $30.00 to get the official answer: there is no answer.

While we may be able to perform this task, (converting an existing device to run using parallels) we have no assurance that that is the case. Please see attached official quote below. As most of us who need to transform are coming from a machine that came preloaded (OEM) with an operating system, this seems like a oxymoron. But there it is.

It appears that some of use (especially those who came from desktops instead of laptops) have a reasonable chance of achieving this transformation and others of us who have issues may be able to establish workarounds, however, it appears that we are on are own -- except for our fellow members of these forums. (Thank you here for those of you who have helped me in the past who happen to read this).

Anyway, I am moving on. I may continue to tinker as I am sure that some of my former employees (in my previous life) could accomplish this task because they were intimately knowledgeable with Windows. I am just a power user with minimal Windows innards knowledge, so I have little chance.

From Parallels Tech Support:
    http://kb.parallels.com/entry/14/253/0/

A: OEM stands for Original Equipment Manufacturer. OEM software is only
    distributed when it’s sold with a computer. The best example of OEM
    software is the copy of Windows that comes pre-installed when you buy a
    new PC. Installing OEM software on another machine usually violates the
    software’s license agreement and may not work with Parallels Desktop for
    Mac.

11. symantix

symantix Bit poster

I did some digging around, and I found that there is an official fix for this.

It involves booting into safe mode (done by pressing command + F8), then see below. I did it, and it worked for me. Now if I can only get Tools installed....

1. Boot Windows in the safe mode. To do that, restart the virtual machine and immediately start pressing F8 repeatedly.
    2. Click on the "Start" button and choose the "Run..." option. Type "regedit" and press Enter to open the Registry Editor.
    3. Browse to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} and find the UpperFilters value.
    4. Right-click on the item, choose the "Delete" option and click "Yes" to delete the item.
    5. Locate the "LowerFilters" value under the same key in the Registry and delete it too.
    6. Close the Registry Editor.
    7. Restart your computer.

12. SCUser

SCUser Junior Member

This may work for a Dell

I tried this without success, however, this is the sort of item that I am looking for as since I can load tools and boot in safe mode, I am convinced that if I knew what the specific cause, I could correct it.

I have a Toshiba as opposed to your dell. I have this control class -- if fact I have a dozen or so of them -- how did you determine this was/may be the culprit?

One issue that I have is the when I get my BSOD, I have changed my windows system to not automatically restart so I can look at the problem in detail, but Parallels then "flashes" the error and rolls back to its setup screen.

This is one of the issue that I have had with Parallels is that I can't find the answer to this type of question -- they have several sources of documentation but I can't find what I need -- in this case how do I get this to pause and not return to setup so that I can see error.

Anyway, I am glad you found your solution, I am somewhat jealous -- but I will NOT covet my neighbor's laptop!

SCUser

13. SCUser

SCUser Junior Member

This may work for a Dell

I tried this without success, however, this is the sort of item that I am looking for, since I can load tools and boot in safe mode, I am convinced that if I knew what was the specific cause, I could correct it.

I have a Toshiba as opposed to your dell. I have this control class -- if fact I have a dozen or so of them -- how did you determine this was/may be the culprit?

One issue that I have is that when I get my BSOD, I have changed my windows system to not automatically restart so I can look at the problem in detail, but Parallels then "flashes" the error and rolls back to its setup screen.

This is one of the issues that I have had with Parallels is that I can't find the answer to this type of question -- they have several sources of documentation but I can't find what I need -- in this case how do I get this to pause and not return to setup so that I can see error.

Anyway, I am glad you found your solution, I am somewhat jealous -- but I will NOT covet my neighbor's laptop!

SCUser

14. jvlorenzen

jvlorenzen Bit poster

I tried this on the XP image I had from a Dell D-600. It would start, but every time I tried to install the Parallel tools it would BSOD. When I used the regedit instructions, I was able to get it running.

Thanks for the pointer.

Last edited: May 31, 2008