BUG : PD9 is **far** from ready for OS X 10.9 Mavericks multi-display support

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by Olivier, Sep 9, 2013.

1. Olivier

Olivier Forum Maven

It is just a complete mess using the latest available build of PD9 on the latest developer preview of Mavericks. OS X Full screen support is now completely broken. At first it was broken on secondary displays. Now it does not even work on the primary display. (Full screen does not go anymore in its own space).

2. Olivier

Olivier Forum Maven

To be complete, there is half-baked workaround.
    If I set each VM to use all displays for full-screen (which I don't need nor want at first), then they correctly appear in a distinct space. I then need to alter Windows own multi-screen settings to tell it NOT to extend the desktop to al those screens (which I can't display anyway - another bug).

The whole concept of multi-screens in VMs has been wrong for years anyway. In my humble opinion, it never should have been implemented the way it is. It would be much more powerful that by default any VM has only ONE virtual screen. To add some more screens to a VM, the VM configuration should be used to add Screens in the hardware section. The number of virtual screens set for any VM would be independent to the number of physical displays on the host to the extent that I could create a VM with two screens on a single display host. The VM guest would always see the exact number of screens configured in its VM properties, unrelated to the number of physical screens on the host. Each of these screens would be in a distinct window when running the VM in windowed mode, and would be in a distinct space when running the VM full-screen. I could even define a VM with two screen, set its first virtual screen to be full-screen on my primary host display, while having its second screen set for windowed mode on some secondary host display. Why not. I let you figuring out coherence mode (which I don't use), though I guess it could automatically activate one virtual screen == one physical screen (like today) in that mode.

The key thing is that there two very distinct use cases here at hand: some users want to use a single-screen VM on any of their host displays, either windowed or full-screened. And some other users want the guest OS to actually see multiple displays, which is completely unrelated to the first use case and should certainly be completely decoupled from the actual physical displays present at any time.

Using a MacBook computer, sometimes connected to an external display, sometimes not, it would be best that a VM set for seeing two screens actually always see two screens, wether or not they're currently connected to the host computer. I really understand that the current setup in Parallels Desktop for the last years has been designed such to make it dumb simple for users with few knowledge of their host computer and OS. But facing the multi-display, multi-spaces generalization of Mavericks (for instance), this is getting too tricky to get the work done correctly for power users.