Build 1910 - Numeric keypad ENTER key not functioning correctly in XP

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by nickcollision, Sep 26, 2006.

1. nickcollision

nickcollision Junior Member

I am currently using Windows XP and build 1910 and do tons of data entry work daily on my Mac using a terminal emulation program over a telnet session.

Problem is with the latest builds -- the enter key works like an ALT key and attempts to access a menu instead of just returning a carriage return or enter as normal.

Is there a fix for this? I have searched for this and there is nothing in the forums despite the fact that this is obviously a bug.

A fix is most welcome.

(Have already tried to hit the clear key to toggle numlock to no avail...)

nickcollision

2. nickcollision

For what it is worth, this problem/bug still exists in build 1918. Any fixes yet?

3. nickcollision

More of the same -- help coming from Parallels team?

Have emailed support twice and re-searched the forums for an answer to this problem -- still no reply. Build 1940 is my current version and this BUG still persists.

Note other threads noting same behavior:
    http://forums.parallels.com/showthread.php?t=4935&highlight=numeric
    http://forums.parallels.com/showthread.php?t=4832&highlight=numeric
    http://forums.parallels.com/showthread.php?t=4200&highlight=numeric

Parallels did not always do this and I am very hesitant to go back to an old build with all the other builds that I have already installed, not to mention that I paid for software (two licenses) that still has a bug.

Parallels, are you listening?

Beuhler?

Beuhler?

4. mmcneely

mmcneely Bit poster

I have the same problem. Support sent me a fix. Like the enter key, the fix doesn't work either. However, I discovered that the = key on the numeric keypad works as the enter key. Better than nothing I suppose.

mmcneely

5. nickcollision

Interesting enter key behavior!

Would you be willing to forward the fix they suggested? I cannot seem to get them to respond to my support requests.

Wonder if there is a way to map the keyboard to make the enter key's input equal whatever input the equal key is providing?

Thanks for taking time to reply!

6. mmcneely

mmcneely Bit poster

I can't figure out a way to map it. Tried but to know avail.

7. mmcneely

mmcneely Bit poster

This will work
    - download the configuration file from
    http://download.parallels.com/stuff/keyboard_config (right click - download linked
    file)
    - save it to /Library/Parallels folder;
    - open your Terminal application;
    - change the current directory to /Library/Parallels. To do it, issue the following
    command:
    cd /Library/Parallels;
    - rename the file to '.keyboard_config':
    sudo mv keyboard_config .keyboard_config
    - change file permissions:
    sudo chmod a+rw /Library/Parallels/.keyboard_config
    - run Parallels Desktop.

8. nickcollision

Confirmed to work!

The fix posted by mmcneely appears to work on my Macbook Pro. One note, be sure to place the file into the /Library/Parallels directory from the Harddrive and not just within your home directory. That kept me busy for awhile...

Thanks for posting a fix... I really appreciate it!

9. 71Maple

71Maple Junior Member

Worked for my MacBook

Thanks for the fix. Because of this very point I'd stuck with release 1848 after trying each succeeding one without success...not that Enter key works as it should.:) :D

10. stevekim

stevekim Bit poster

Thanks!

Thanks so much for posting this fix! Now my "enter" key is resolved as a number pad enter key, just like it should be. Can I ask how you got this tip? I inspected the file, and it was just a text entry for "nonumenterisaltgr"...

11. nickcollision

tech support came through...

Apparently mmcneely received this fix from tech support and was kind enough to peek in and reply to my post when noone from Parallels seemed to be able to take the time.

12. mmcneely

mmcneely Bit poster

Actually, tech support was very helpful in my case. Replied to my request for help within hours. I wonder if something is wrong with your email? I sent the fix directly to you and when I didn't hear back I posted it.
    I was like you and used the wrong library and figured the fix wouldn't work. I am a Windows convert and it took me a while to figure it out. With Windows, you just expect things not to work.
    You are all welcome for the fix. I am sure in the future I will need your expertise.
    P.S.
    My = key still acts as an enter key. Any ideas? I can live with it but curiosity will bother me.

13. Marc Vos

Marc Vos Member

Thanks for posting the solution, mmcneely. I had this problem too and kept stuck with build 1862. The patch also works for build 1970, which did not solve the keypad ENTER-key problem either.

14. DarrenSW

DarrenSW Bit poster

Numeric keypad ENTER key

Small point, but may be helpful (to European users at least) - when Tiger detects your USB keyboard and asks you for the type, make sure you pick the third option, US, rather than European/ISO. The latter didn't work at all for me, the former works faultlessly. I'm using a Targus USB Mini Keypad with USB Hub for figure work on a MacBook, and it's fine.