build 1940 complaining about tools version inconsistency

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by nsayer, Oct 20, 2006.

1. nsayer

nsayer Member

I like build 1940, except for one thing:

Whenever I switch to fullscreen, I get a complaint that the version of the parallels tools is inconsistent with the version of parallels. It complains about this once, then never again until I restart parallels the next time.

And yes, I am really, really, REALLY sure I installed the new tools version.

I'm running XP.

2. patwarn

patwarn Bit poster

I'll second that...

I have the exact same problem with build 1940.

Mac mini (intel) 2GB

3. Joe Mac User

Joe Mac User Junior Member

Now that you say that, I saw that last night too. I have several VMs, and thought maybe I missed the tools update on that VM, but was sure I had updated it. Now I am.

I think I saw it under win2k.

4. coopermj@muohio.edu

coopermj@muohio.edu Junior Member

Same story here -- I thought it was when I resumed from suspended. I updated the tools a couple times just to be sure.

5. jackgarvey

jackgarvey Bit poster

I had to delete and reinstall parallels to get around that...

I had the same problem. It kept me form running Parallels. I finally endd up deleting the version on my hard disk and re-installing the new "update" and I was at least able to start parallels. I am still having Virtual Memory error problems. Anyone have an idea how to stop that?

6. plus

plus Bit poster

Response from Parallels Needed!!

Yup, here too - build 1940 complains about the tool version inconsistency every time I go into full screen mode, except on the first reboot following yet another attempt at reinstalling the tools.

In fact, for today's round of aggravation with this, I ran the tools installer the first time and agreed to UNinstall them, rebooted Win2K, confirmed no tools (mouse was captured by Parallels), rebooted Windows again (just to be sure any remnants of the tools installation could finish clearing out of the Windows registry catacombs), *then* installed the tools again (about my 7th installation). On the next reboot & expansion into full screen, no complaint. So I suspended Windows, exited Parallels, then restarted it & resumed Windows (as is my normal morning routine). On going into full-screen mode, same complaint.

When I check the version of the Tools from the Tools Center within Win2K, it says it's build 1940, just as it should be. I even downloaded a fresh copy of Build 1940 & reinstalled that, but it didn't help. I guess the choices from here are to (A) just ignore it, and hope that there is no other underlying problem of which this is a symptom, waiting to corrupt my guest OS or anything, or (B) uninstall Parallels (hoping it doesn't remove my guest OS!!!) and install again from scratch (as the previous poster suggested).

So, Parallels folks - could we at least get some acknowledgement of this bug & (A) what we can/should do about it (especially: is just ignoring it ok?) and (B) can we expect it to be fixed in some upcoming upgrade?

(A blemish on my otherwise totally satisfying experience with Parallels Desktop - I rave about it to any & all who I think should know about such things! :D )

7. murdocdv

murdocdv Junior Member

Same here, switch to fullscreen and more often than not get the tools inconsistency warning. Uninstalled the tools completely and installed again and again, doesn't fix it, and I don't want to turn off the warning and have to poll any VMs I load to verify the tools are up-to-date.

8. Andrew @ Parallels

Andrew @ Parallels Parallels Team

Yes - there is bug in detecting Parallels Tools version in some cases. We are working on it. Please just ignore it if you are sure your Parallels Tools is up to date.

9. nsayer

nsayer Member

This appears to still be unfixed in 1970.

10. Andrew @ Parallels

It should work in 1970. Are you sure Tools up to date? Can you check version in Parallels Tools Center?

11. drienzo

drienzo Bit poster

I just installed 1970, and can't seem to update the tools. I logged into Windows (2000) as admin, but the installation seems to hang immediately after the "Installing Parallels Tools will make your work with Parallels Desktop more comfortable" window.

The new tools are not being installed - I checked the Parallels Tools Center and it shows I'm still using tools for build 1940.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!!

12. burgeke

burgeke Member

Same thing here. I verified 1970 (actually installed this VM fresh using the assistant - its an XP install)

13. Andrew @ Parallels

Try to uninstall old tools, reboot XP and install new tools. It should help.

14. nsayer

nsayer Member

Yup, the tools are up-to-date, but I still get the warning upon switching to full-screen after resuming from suspend. After getting the warning once, it doesn't repeat until I put the virtual machine to sleep and resume it.

I de-installed the tools, rebooted the guest, reinstalled the tools, rebooted again, suspend, resume, full-screen, same problem.

15. murdocdv

murdocdv Junior Member

I am seeing the same problem on 1970, and I guarantee I have the most recent version of the tools installed. It always happens on the first switch to Fullscreen after resuming from a suspend.

16. gjlazar

gjlazar Member

I have the same problem. I uninstalled 1970 reinstalled 1940 now I have the same problem with 1940. I updated again to 1970 and stll have the problem. Parallels tools installer says it cannot determine the installed version yet it tells me it is inconsistent with parallels version ievery time I start up..

17. joem

joem Forum Maven

It's a bug in the version detection code. Install the latest version of the app, and install the tools (twice to be sure) and ignore the message. It should work fine.