Build 3106 - MMC

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by milesce, Dec 30, 2006.

1. milesce

milesce Member

All,

First, kudos again for a great build. I particularly loved that I can stick my favorite windows apps in the doc and launch and quit the applications from there, it completely integrated the experience for me (I use Outlook 2007 and OneNote for work).

Noticed an interesting thing. I use a lot of Microsoft Management Console apps for work -- remote desktops, SQL Server enterprise manager, etc. When you run those, it creates the application just like other windows apps under /virtual machineWindows Applications/whatever. However, for MMC apps it just creates an icon for Microsoft Management console, and not the particular one you were using. No big deal, this build is still a huge step forward, but I'd love to have an app for the specific ones I use -- if I had that, I'd do away with the windows start menu/taskbar entirely.

You guys are awesome. I think this is just about the coolest software I've ever bought.

2. tpat

tpat Bit poster

I noticed this issue too with the MMC. I use the SQL Server Enterprise Manager MSC a lot, and wanted to be able to launch it from the dock. After looking into how Parallels launched Windows apps, I found a sort of temporary workaround. If you have a look in OS X at ~/Library/Parallels/[name of your VM]/Windows Application/, you will see all the apps you launched in your VM. These are helper applications created by Parallels. Right click on one and Show Package Contents, go to Contents/Resources/, and open AppParams.pva in a text editor. You can change APP Path to the path of the MSC of your choice. In my case I changed APP Path of Microsoft Management Console to the MSC I wanted (C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\80\Tools\BINN\SQL Server Enterprise Manager.MSC). Unfortunately, when you launch the changed app, Parallels still creates another helper app called Microsoft Management Console [1]. So you have to manually quit the changed app from the dock. At least you can still launch MSCs directly from the dock.

3. jp20r

jp20r Junior Member

Hi , may be u can help:

using Sql Server, Visual Stu 2005. I use Win 2000 and build 1970

when I try to upgrade to 3106, Win 2000 doesnt start (ive tried many many times).
    XP works.
    question: how do I transfer applications and datas from C: in Win 2000 to C: in XP.
    I cannot open both sessions same time, so i dont see how to transfer appl and datas.
    any ideas and suggestions ?

I tried Parallel Transporter: it opened the W2k window within the XP window .... but the W2K screen resolution got very low and coulndt be changed ?
    so far I went back to 1970
    thks

MacBook Pro 2.0 GHz, 2 GB RAM, OS 10.4.8, Parallels Build 1970 and 3106
    running Win2000