Build 4128 Killed Windows XP -- Black Screen of Death

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by jegillick, Sep 5, 2007.

1. jegillick

jegillick Member

I just installed the update in XP and when the machine reboots it gets stuck right after the BIOS screen and all I get is a black screen. This is my work machine and now I cannot access my email or be productive. Is there any way to revert to the previous update?

Not sure if this is related, but the machine did crash with a blue screen earlier and then did a CHKDISK and other operations after reboot, removing some files. The OS worked fine after that until the update was installed.

I'm trying to backup the files through Parallels Explorer, but I can't copy them to my computer.

Please help!

2. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

Yuck!
    Firstly, back all your windows stuff up! Your .hdd file, etc.
    Next, revert to your last back-up, prior to the one you just did, and see if it works.

If that fails, because either the last back-up didn't work or you don't have one, try starting in Safe Mode. If you can get in via Safe Mode, uninstall Parallels tools and try to get in again.

If that fails, (double-check that your back-up is still there before doing this as it fries Parallels ever having the chance of getting into it), try changing the extension to .dmg or .iso and mounting the disk.

3. jegillick

jegillick Member

My last snapshot works, but some things changed between then and now which I would like to keep.

I can boot into Safe Mode, but it does the same thing -- black screen.

I copied winxp.hdd to another file and renamed it to .dmg and then .iso. When I tried to open it, the computer couldn't mount it and said it was unrecognized.

Is there a way to uninstall Parallels tools without starting Windows?

4. Hugh Watkins

Hugh Watkins Forum Maven

is your hard disk nearly full?

It pays to keep all your data in shared folders not "My Documents"

I just dropped back to the one week old clone and deleted the black screening version

Hugh W

5. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

Well, you can always export the data you want to keep to the Mac via sharing, then roll back, and import again. And consider using shared folders like Hugh recommended. (we have everything centralized on a server here, and back-up certain files, all users know that anything stored anywhere else is at their own risk).