Build 4560 kills MS Messenger

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by zumwalt, Jul 18, 2007.

1. zumwalt

zumwalt Member

Worked in the prior build, installed 4560 build and Messenger always crashes. Not a critical application, but just fyi, no way to fix it inside of windows, not even an uninstall and re-install.

2. thure

thure Bit poster

Just want to echo zumwait: After installing build 4560 Messenger crashes. Messenger still works fine when using it in boot camp.

Anyone knows a work around?

3. tsunami78

tsunami78 Junior Member

I use Windows Live Messenger, and did not have any problem after the upgrade to 3.0. I don't know what version of messenger you're using, but maybe you need a newer version?

4. thure

thure Bit poster

Using Parallels 3.0 build 4560, Windows Vista Ultimate and Windows Live Messenger 8.1 build 8.1017.00. From what I understand this is the latest.

Downloaded a new Messenger and run a "repair of the current installation", didn't help.

tsunami78, are you running the same config?

5. tsunami78

tsunami78 Junior Member

I am only running XP SP2 fully patched with Live Messenger 8.1 Build 8.1.0178.00. I'm curious whether zumwalt is also running Vista Ultimate. It might be an issue with Vista rather than messenger.

Cheers,
    Jason

6. superchris

superchris Bit poster

to tsunami78

I'm running XP(Korean) SP2 fully patched with Live Messenger 8.1 Build 8.1.0178.00.

And I have the same problem!
    Of course, I've already tried to repair and to re-install it but it still crashes.

7. zumwalt

zumwalt Member

XP Pro Fully Patched with Live Messenger 8.1 Build 8.1.0178.00, 100% crashes every time when signing in. I have fully un-installed, re-installed, even created a new VM and installed on a fresh VM same thing. Crash.

8. wilf

wilf Bit poster

I am experiencing the same problems XP SP2 and Live Messenger 8.1 Build 8.1.0178.00.

Have tried repairing/reinstalling but get same crash.

Is there a way to revert back to previous version?

9. tsunami78

tsunami78 Junior Member

Hmmm... not sure why mine is working, and the other XP installs are not. There is not anything unusual on my VM.

10. edmax

edmax Bit poster

i have the same issue.....msn8 just "died". I uninstalled office 2007 and msn8..reboot and reinstall a fresh copy of msn8...and solved the crashing prob.

11. ZeeG

ZeeG Member

Mine workd fine with previous version, but I'm having the same problem after I upgrade parallels to 5060. It is a bootcamp volume, so I tried to boot up with bootcamp and it works fine. I even tried to open the live messenger under VMWare condition - same volume, same installation - and it works fine. So, I think it is definitely the problem caused by parallels.

12. jsclin

jsclin Bit poster

anyone has the solution for this yet?

13. Dean Hinz

Dean Hinz Bit poster

Not trying to be a wiseguy, but someone asked for a workaround. You can install Windows Live Messenger for Mac on your host system. For my type of work, I am changing back and forth from virtual machine to virtual machine throughout the day and this way, my IM client is intact.

14. jarrwlee

jarrwlee Bit poster

Possible fix

I found that if you disable the Windows Live Messenger option of hiding the window border and menu bar, that it stops crashing, at least for me.

In the top right, there are the standard three icons, minimize, maximize, and close, but there's the fourth one up there that will do what you need. Click it, then at the bottom of the menu will be an item to show the menu bar. After checking that in Boot Camp, it hasn't crashed in Parallels. If you don't have boot camp, maybe use full screen or OS window rather than Coherence and see if that will let you run it long enough to make the change.

15. richard713

richard713 Bit poster

What Worked For Me

I had exactly the same problem, as soon as Windows Messenger started it would crash. I was able to get it to stop crashing by unchecking the "Enable DirectX Support" option in the Video section of the Virtual Machine Configuration Editor. I'm not a gamer, so I can live with that.

Hope it helps!

Richard

16. jarrwlee

jarrwlee Bit poster

My method only worked a couple of times and then returned to crashing. Richard's method has worked every time. Turn off the DirectX stuff and Messenger will work again.