Can I transfer my Parallels Access purchase to a new desktop PC?

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by livin1, Sep 1, 2013.

1. livin1

livin1

IF I purchase a new computer to replace my existing Windows 7 or 8 PC setup with Parallels acess can I transfer my license to the new PC? Does it need to retain the same computer name? It will also work when going from Windows 7 64bit to Windows 8 64bit?

2. lotw

lotw Product Expert

Not currently, they say its locked to the 1st computer you install it too. They should however use the login info as the stopper. If your already logged in on another computer that one is the one PC. That way you could install it on all your computers, but only actually use it on 1 at a time. That is pretty much what other companies that offer remote control of your computer do.

3. livin1

livin1

It is hard to believe in this day and age where folks move to new hardware frequently that a company still licenses their product this way. I will definitely NOT purchase this product until I get my new PC setup and working. I have this installed on a computer I plan to replace in the next 3-4 months so I am glad I did waste money for a product that would have locked me in to a computer for 12 months that will be replaced in the next four. Please someone from Sales at Parallels confirm this stupidity is not true...?

4. KaneDebano

KaneDebano

I agree. For this cost, too many limitations. I am also planning to change desktop soon. No Parallels for me.

5. livin1

livin1

Can someone from parallels pleas answer my original question please?

6. lotw

lotw Product Expert

We did. As of now NO. Once you install on a computer that is the only one that can use PA. They say they are working on that issue, but taking too long at doing it.

7. livin1

livin1

Can you please let me know when issue is fixed so I can make my purchase at that time?

8. Merlinthemog

Merlinthemog

This is really poor. I'm a long-standing Parallels desktop user and I bought the parallels desktop update that included the 6 month free Access trial and decided to try it out on my laptop. I was very surprised to find that I now can't use it with my iMac at home (which is what I really wanted it for). Can't believe there's no way to transfer the subscription, and the price beyond the 6 months is ridiculous for it to be tied to a single computer.
    Basically it means I just won't even bother using it. A waste of time because it does actually look like a good bit of software (I'm a developer) but it's ruined by a crazy and self-destructive approach to licensing.

9. Eugene@Parallels

Eugene@Parallels Banned

Hello livin1.

Thanks for your question.

In your case we suggest you to install Parallels Access agent on the new computer (you'll get 14 days trial) and then you contact our Customer Service and Licensing department.
    They will collect all needed information from your end and then they'll replace your current subscription to the new one so that you will be able to change hardware without purchasing an additional Parallels Access license.

10. livin1

livin1

Thanks very much! - what number do I call to reach your licensing department directly

Thanks very much! - what number do I call to reach your licensing department directly?

11. PeterG30

PeterG30 Bit Poster

Move license

If you would like to use your Parallels Desktop for Mac Standard or Pro Edition license on a new Mac, you should just download Parallels Desktop on the new Mac, install it and activate the product as described in KB 124225. Click on Activate on This Mac and the current copy will be successfully activated.

Regards,
    Peter