Can you install OS X into a Parallels VM?

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by busta999, Jun 21, 2007.

1. busta999

busta999 Bit poster

Has anyone tried?

It would be kinda interesting to have an OS X VM that I could play in without fear that I would break it?

I'll give it a go and see how far I get.

2. Ankou

Ankou Guest

Hello busta999
    Due to Apple license, you can't do what. You can install Mac OS only on Mac.

3. busta999

busta999 Bit poster

Now that's a pity

Nice idea though

4. Lago di Cuba

Lago di Cuba Junior Member

I wonder if the FTC would agree? Tie-in agreements are illegal:
    Tie-in sales. The sale of one product on condition that a customer purchase a second product, which the customer may not want or can buy elsewhere at a lower price, is a tie-in.
    Same would apply to MS saying a purchaser of Vista Home can't install it in a VM machine.
    They (Apple and MS) can certainly say they won't support such a configuration, but I wonder whether they can, legally, prevent it?

5. w7ox

w7ox Hunter

Umm .. but the computer *is* a Mac or Parallels would not run on it.

I think his question was "is it possible?". Can't imagine why anyone would want to do it.

Phil

6. j0390

j0390 Bit poster

This would be handy for developers that want different versions of the OS running 10.4.6/7/8/9 and 10 for eg. or for testing out Leopard I guess.

pearPC is a PPC emulator that can run OS X on Windows, I posted the same message as the OP somewhere else because I had seen this and wondered if there was something similar for Intel builds of Mac OS.