Can't change the size of Virtual Machine memory

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by Voytek, Jan 6, 2009.

1. Voytek

Voytek Bit poster

Hello,

I do not seem to be able to increase (or even change) the amount of memory allocated to the Virtual Machine.

I can set the memory manually to what I want in Parallels Desktop Preferences, now it is at 1792 MB. However, in the Virtual Machine Configuration menu the memory seems to be fixed at 512 MB and cannot be changed.

I am trying to run Solid Edge, an engineering drawing software that is quite intensive in memory use. 512 MB memory is probably the absolutely minimum it can be run on, but the performance is totally unacceptable, and the software complains about insufficient memory. I set the memory paging in Windows to 1536 MB, which helped quite a lot, but it is still very very slow.

As I do not seem to notice other users complaining about this problem, quite likely there is something very simple I am not doing right.

My system is MacBook Pro 2.2 GHz with 4 GB memory, OS X version 10.5.6, Parallels Desktop 4 build 4.0.3810, Windows XP Professional Version 5.1 SP3.

Happy and Successful New Year for everybody.

Voytek

2. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

Try to disable or uninstall antivirus inside VM,if you have it

3. Voytek

Voytek Bit poster

John,

Thank you for the advice.

In Windows Services the only antivirus software I can find (or identify) is "Parallels Internet Security Powered by Kaspersky". It starts automatically, so it is on, but I turned off its every single functionality.
    Just in case I also turned off Widows Security Centre.

Still I cannot change the VM memory size.

Voytek

4. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

Try to change the memory when the VM is shut down (not working, not suspended).

5. Voytek

Voytek Bit poster

Thank you, it worked!

:)