cant connect to internet with 3.0

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by bangkok, Jul 27, 2007.

1. bangkok

bangkok Bit poster

i was running trial version for a few weeks and i could connect to internet no problem. So i upgraded and paid to 3.0 version and installed office

Now, i show limited or no connectivity.

Any ideas?

2. kat

kat Product Expert

what do you have in my network places, and did you turn off global sharing?

3. kat

kat Product Expert

I have 3.0

When you have your vm slected but not running look under edit (3 rd one over from the apple top left), I want you to check which security option to go between XP and OSX and the web you need to be medium or medium high depending on the access you would like.

Next thing is to check your network connections in your VM. (I am wireless.)

It should read

local area connection
    connected, firewalled
    parallels network adapt

Tell me if this is how your xp is set up.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2007
  4. bangkok

bangkok Bit poster

security option is medium high

network connections in VM. (I am wireless also.)

reads:

local area connection
    connected, firewalled
    parallels network adapt

Tell me if this is how your xp is set up.

While i was in the configuration editor, i saw the emulation was set to ethernet adapter. I changed it to default adapter, and now it connects to my wireless. No sure what this is about, but i probably should have played here first.

thx

5. jackybe67

jackybe67 Pro

This is how settings should be :

Afbeelding 1.jpg

6. kat

kat Product Expert

bangkok,

Glad you got it to work.
    kat

7. bangkok

bangkok Bit poster

i should use shared networking?

Whats the different between shared networking and using the ethernet adapter? I am using the ethernet adapter it seems to work ...

Last edited: Jul 28, 2007
  8. kat

kat Product Expert

I condensed information from the user manual for you

Shared Networking (NAT)
    In this mode your virtual machine can access the Internet while being invisible to other computers on the network (except your Macintosh computer). This mode is recommended because it doesn't require any additional configuring. Your virtual machine will share whatever network connection your computer uses at the moment.
    This mode is preferred in the following cases:
    your computer accesses the Internet via a modem or another non-Ethernet device,
    as a mobile user, you access the Internet from Internet cafes, hotel rooms and on flights,
    you want to access the Internet in a virtual machine but you are concerned about security,
    you have problems with Bridged Ethernet mode.

If your virtual machine uses the Bridged Ethernet type of connection to the network, virtual machine appears on the network as a stand-alone computer with its own IP address and network name.

9. Prozpris

Prozpris Bit poster

not an option

I have the same problem, the only thing is I dont even have the option to choose shared networking, it is grayed out as well as host only. What the?? build 4560