Can't create bootable clone with Parallels Desktop installed

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by barneythedog, Sep 17, 2006.

1. barneythedog

barneythedog Bit poster

Before installing Parallels Desktop for Mac with a WinXP VM, I was able to make bootable clone backups of my hard disk to an external firewire drive. Now, after installing PDM, I can not create a bootable backup clone. I have used Carbon Copy Cloner and MimMac to create the backup and they either fail while creating the clone, or the clone won't lauch when completed.

Is there something about Parallels that won't let these programs make backups in the way they did before installation? Thanks. This is important to me.

2. joem

joem Forum Maven

I'm using SuperDuper to make clones with Parallels installed with no problem.

I did have a problem a few weeks ago where the OS was deteriorating, and archive and install would fail to complete. After erasing the entire drive, reinstalling OSX, and copying over my stuff from a backup, I was back in business.

3. barneythedog

barneythedog Bit poster

Thanks for the SuperDuper tip. After several tries it worked. Don't know what was going on before, but it works now ---- everything is fully cloned! SuperDuper is excellent.