Can't get into Safe mode to fix "black screen"

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by Jonathan1257, Jun 15, 2008.

1. Jonathan1257

Jonathan1257 Bit poster

I have read that the black screen issue I'm having since updating is related to problems with the latest Parallels Tools and a driver conflict in Windows XP Pro. I have also read that the "fix" is to uninstall and reinstall Tools after booting into Safe mode. Unfortunately, I cannot get into safe mode. It begins, but then the screen freezes with about 40 lines of code, beginning with "multi(0)disk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS\system32\I_intl.nls".

I can't boot into VGA mode or any other mode for that matter. Any suggestions?
    Thanks,

Jon

2. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

I am afraid that you need to perform Windows repair, but if it is Boot Camp based VM, try to clear Parallels Tools information first in Parallels Desktop -<Virtual Machine name>-Edit-Virtual Machine -Hard Disk 1 - advanced

3. Jonathan1257

Jonathan1257 Bit poster

Not Boot Camp based

I appreciate your input, but I have to admit I'm pretty much clueless here. I do know that my VM is not Boot Camp based; not sure if you have different advice with that info.

To make matters worse, I have the .dmg files for 5160 and 5584, but since I uninstalled and reinstalled Parallels multiple times (and manually removed some files) I am now being asked for an activation key, which I do not have any more.

I am pretty much at my wits end with all of this and feel quite frustrated that the $80 I spent feels like money down the drain. I'm not really interested in purchasing another copy of Parallels.

Is there some way to (simply) fix this or to start over?

4. John@Parallels

5. John@Parallels

I have tried to avoid Windows installation repair suggestion, but as I can see you need to continue with it.
    Repair process described in http://kb.parallels.com/en/5138
    but please note that Windows XP CD should have the same Service Pack level as installed in VM, in your case it is SP2
    So, if Windows XP CD should have SP1 and SP2 slipstreamed.
    Slipstream process described in
    http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=295

And do not forget to backup VM first , just copy VM folder anywhere

6. Jonathan1257

Jonathan1257 Bit poster

I give up

It's all too frustrating. Even if I do a clean install I don't have an authorization code any longer to install the software, and no one from Parallels answers my emails to get another one (I hear this complaint from others all the time). It's just not worth the headaches.

I switched to a trial version of VMWare Fusion. Much faster, much easier, and most importantly it works fine. And they'll give me $30 off as a former Parallels user.

Adios,

Jon