Can't get XP into 4.0

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by dklassen, Nov 24, 2008.

1. dklassen

dklassen Junior Member

Tried several migrations from existing XP boxes and each time the migration canceled out by itself. Tried a clean install from two different XP CD's and still can't get it to work. Also tried the ISO method and that didn't work. Tried Parallels support and got no help at all. We had none of these problems with 3.0. What's going in with 4.0, is this version not ready for prime time? It just shouldn't be this hard to do such a basic operation in 4.0.

2. dklassen

dklassen Junior Member

So any reason why we can do a simple XP install into 4.0?

3. Flagg

Flagg Hunter

Hello,

if the previous boxes were Parallels Desktop 3 boxes, then you can try creating a new virtual machine based on their .hdd files, this will most probably help. On the installation issue, could you tell us, at what point does the installation fail? Is it a problem of the virtual machine not recognizing the CD drive, or is something failing during installation process?

4. quattrocoupe

quattrocoupe Bit poster

I too was having installation issues in upgrading V3 to V4 always hanging at the parallels tools, for hours. Then... I uninstalled Kaspersky Internet Security and all went very smoothly.

JB

5. modronmarch

modronmarch Member

Please uninstall Parallels Tools v.3, any and all antivirus/security software and custom drivers (i.e. drivers that were not installed with Windows) from your Virtual Machine prior to upgrading - should work like a charm. If an issue persists you can always request assistance from the tech support - go here: http://www.parallels.com/support/desktop/request/