Can't run Compressor or Install Tools

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by james_mac, Oct 13, 2008.

1. james_mac

james_mac Junior Member

I have all of a sudden run into a strange issue. When I try to run Compressor... nothing happens. I get the little warning that says that I need to make sure I am logged in... I am... so I click ok. Then after that...nothing. I've let it sit for quite a while, but nothing happens. I have run Compressor in the past without any problems. I can select "Cancel Parallels Compressor" from the drop down menu.

I thought maybe there was a chance that the Parallels tools got screwed up, so I selected "Install Parallels Tools..." from the menu. I got the same behavior as trying to run Compressor. I pressed ok when the warning came up... then nothing.

I am running 5608 on OSX 10.5.5.
    Any ideas what is going on and how I can fix it?

2. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

Please start Parallels Desktop holding Command key and make sure that CD-DVD is Enabled and connected

3. james_mac

james_mac Junior Member

Ok... I tried that. On the black startup screen I saw that it said it was trying to boot from CD, but it failed. I made sure that the CD was enabled, but there is no CD in the drive. But the end result is the same... Nothing happens when I try to run Compressor.

4. John@Parallels

In the Configuration Editor- Options - Booting, check that booting is set from Hard drive,if it still fails, it is another problem,

5. james_mac

james_mac Junior Member

ok, it was set to boot off the CD first, so I did switch it to Hard Drive first. I tried t run Compressor with the same results (or lack there of). I then tried restarting with the command key held down like you suggested... same results. I did notice that in the Configuration Editor, there is a "Compact" button under Hard Disk > Advanced. I was able to run that...

But I still can't seem to be able to run the Compressor from inside the virtual machine... so it is still a definite issue.

(and actually after it ran, the size of the disk image didn't seem to be any different)

Last edited: Oct 15, 2008
  6. John@Parallels

Try to mount disk image from /Library/Parallels/Tools/vmtools.iso (from Mac HDD) and in My Computer open disk D:

7. MichaelD

MichaelD Bit poster

I have this exact problem. I tried mounting vmtools.iso and I was able to start compressor through D:, but when I had to restart windows to continue the process, D: reverted back to the CD drive and compressor stalled out. Under actions it reads "cancel parallels compressor" but nothing is happening.