CATIA "Runtime Exception" in Parallels Desktop 3.0

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by LadBoyTick, Aug 20, 2007.

1. LadBoyTick

LadBoyTick Bit poster

Hello there,

I'm having an issue using Dassault Systems CATIA V5 R17 that has only been happening since upgrading to Parallels Desktop for Mac 3.0 from the previous version. When I create a new Part file (within CATIA) and try to save via File > Save, I am given the error "Runtime Exception. Click OK to terminate." After clicking "OK", CATIA quits. In an attempt to resolve this issue, I tried uninstalling and reinstalling CATIA, to no avail. I then tried creating an entirely new virtual machine and installing Windows from scratch, then installing CATIA V5 R17 on top of that (including Service Pack 2). The problem still occurs. I've talked to two different support technicians for CATIA and neither of them seem to know what the problem could be. Since this problem has only arisen after upgrading to Parallels Desktop for Mac 3.0, I'm wondering if it could be caused by Parallels Desktop. The time between upgrading to Parallels Desktop 3.0 and the next time I used CATIA and discovered the problem was probably about a week, so I can't be certain that Parallels Desktop has caused this problem. However, I'm wondering if anyone else is experiencing this problem. I've submitted the issue to Parallels technical support, so hopefully I'll hear back from them soon.

2. Vinz

Vinz Bit poster

We experience the same problem with Catia v5r16 on Parallels 3.0.
    We only use Parallels since the 3.0 version, so we can't compare but we also tried Catia v5r10 and there is no problem when saving documents.

Is there any solution found by Parallels team ?

3. LadBoyTick

LadBoyTick Bit poster

No, I've reported the issue to Parallels support and generally they just tell me to reinstall Parallels from scratch and then reinstall Windows XP and CATIA. Well, I've done that two or three times now with the same results. As you probably know, reinstalling Windows and CATIA is a long process. For me, it wasn't worth my time to keep doing that, so I bought VMWare Fusion instead. Fusion runs CATIA great, and my laptop's fan doesn't even kick on like it did with Parallels. (However, I can't get Fusion to let me to connect to the Internet within the virtual machine after upgrading to Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard - don't know if that problem would bug you.)

4. Vinz

Vinz Bit poster

Thank you for these information.
    Did you also have graphical display bugs with Catia on Parallels ? and with VMWare ?

5. LadBoyTick

LadBoyTick Bit poster

I don't recall having any graphical display bugs with Catia in either Parallels or VMWare (however, I've almost always used Catia on a Mac, so I may not have caught them). With both, however, I sometimes have a problem switching between Catia and another program (AutoCAD, for instance). When I switch from Catia to AutoCAD via Expose the AutoCAD window doesn't redraw properly. The graphic from Catia that was overlapping the AutoCAD window behind it shows up in the AutoCAD window and prevents me from seeing anything until I move that window around a bit. It's annoying, but it's not enough to completely halt my ability to work like that Catia save bug.

6. Vinz

Vinz Bit poster

When we first thought using Catia on a virtual XP, we tested it with Parallels and VMWare on a MacBook. Performances were quite equivalent with a little advantage for Parallels. We choose Parallels because circles looked like ellipses with VMWare. I haven't tried on my iMac...
    What about you ?

Maybe you can contact me by e-mail : I send you my adress by Private message.

7. Eruel

Eruel Bit poster

Hi,
    I bought a MacBook Pro in january and i use CAD program so i tried to install Catia V5R17 and i have the same issue when i want to save a file. ( by the way, sometimes i have a few graphics bug )

Config:

-Core2Duo 2,6 Ghz
    -2 Gb of RAM
    -NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT
    -Windows Xp Pro SP2

ps: sorry for my english i'm a french user

8. MaxTrax

MaxTrax Bit poster

Hi Catia Users

wen i tried to run
    Catia V5 R16
    on:
    Parallels Desktop v3.0 4128 Mac en.dmg
    Guest OS: Win XP Prof 2002 SP2.

catia crashed with
    "Runtime Exception. Click OK to terminate."
    at the end of the startup of Catia.

I use now the configuration below stated.
    Since then i have only minor problems.
    When i have time, i will test the latest build
    and post result here.

------------------------------------------------------

Maschine: MacBook Pro 17"
    Prozessor: Intel Core 2 Duo
    Speed: 2.33 GHz
    Boot-ROM: MBP21.00A5.B07
    RAM: 3 GB
    HD: 186.31 GB, TOSHIBA MK2035GSS

Parallels: v2.5 Build 3214
    Guest OS: Win XP Prof 2002 SP2
    Applications: Catia V5 R16
    ------------------------------------------------------

9. MaxTrax

MaxTrax Bit poster

Hi Catia Users

Distortion of Tree,
    Compass,
    Square / Cube
    Circles / elipses

1) open application
    XP > Desktop > my Computer > Local Disk (C:) > Programms >
    Dassault Systems > B14 > intel_a > code > bin >
    CATIAENV.exe

2) Dilogbox appears answer "yes"

3) Dilogbox appears answer "OK"

4) right click on the lower subwindow
    chose "New Variable"

5) Catia v5 default screen ratio is 1.25 : 1
    the two Numbers 800 and 500 discribe the screen ratio and the size of the Tree an the Compass
    800 : 500 = 1.6 : 1 gives a small size Tree and Compass
    500 : 250 = 1.6 : 1 gives a big size Tree and Compass

Conclusion: as biger 800 : 500 is, as smaller Tree and Compass will be.

6) right click on the lower subwindow
    chose "New Variable"

7) fill in following:
    Name: CATWidthMMOfScreen
    Value: 500

8) fill in following:
    Name: CATHeightMMOfScreen
    Value: 250

9) Close the Enviroment Editor, restart Catia

the Problem should be solved

10. Vinz

Vinz Bit poster

Ratio environment variables

Thanks a lot for this explanation. It works great for me. I had to put a 300:160 ratio to get a perfect circle display and correct Tree size on VMWare.
    Just a correction: for a 1.6 ratio it is 400:250 instead of 500:250 as you certainly noticed.

I will now look for a Parallels 2.x version to test Catia v5r16.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2008