Certain Games that I launch in Parallels have invisible objects and objects that flicker

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by GarrettJ, Aug 7, 2020.

1. SvenK6

SvenK6 Bit poster

The "fix" also works vor Phasmophobia:
    Thank you so much, Kristensen!

2. AlessandroM18

AlessandroM18 Bit poster

Thank you for this!
    Just a doubt: can this flag be left in place permanently or could it affect the performance of games that don't seem to require it?

3. IgF

IgF Bit poster

Hi!
    The fix doesn't work on Final Fantasy XIII with Parallels 18 and OSX Ventura. I'm getting flicker at the initial part of the game and characters disappear.
    Any other possible solution?
    Thanks!

4. VasylZ1

VasylZ1 Bit poster

I have a similar issue with The Witcher game where all the characters and creatures are trasparent/invisible.
    `video.untrimmed_dynamic_cbuffers=1` doesn't fix the issue.
    Would really appreciate the fix.

DanB21 likes this.
  5. GeorgesD1

GeorgesD1 Bit poster

Oh my god, I finally found this thread after trying to make Solasta, Crown of the Magister work for about a year and a half. I can confirm the fix works for it. This should be much more publicized!!

Thanks.

6. Maxim Rasulov

Maxim Rasulov Staff Member

Hello,

Thank you for your feedback.

To help us look into this, please collect a technical report:
    Note: If you currently have a boot flag active, please remove it:

1. Shut down the Virtual Machine. Make sure that the virtual machine is shut down. If it is in a suspended state, please run it and then shut down (Actions > Shut Down).

2. Open the Virtual Machine's Configuration as per this article: https://kb.parallels.com/117287

3. Open "Hardware" tab -> "Boot Order" -> "Advanced Settings" -> "Bootflags".

4. Remove the text in the "Boot flags" field:

5. Click "Ok" and close virtual machine configuration.

Once it's removed, or if you weren't using a boot flag, please:
    1. Run the virtual machine.

2. Reproduce the issue in the Final Fantasy XIII.

3. Collect a technical report (click Parallels icon -> Help -> Send technical data -> check "Attach screenshots..." -> press Send Report) and send us the report's 9-digit ID in a reply to this post.

Thank you!

7. Maxim Rasulov

Hello,

At the risk of repeating myself, but also, thank you for your feedback.

And to help us look into this, we also need a technical report:
    Note: If you currently have a boot flag active, please remove it:

1. Shut down the Virtual Machine. Make sure that the virtual machine is shut down. If it is in a suspended state, please run it and then shut down (Actions > Shut Down).

2. Open the Virtual Machine's Configuration as per this article: https://kb.parallels.com/117287

Once it's removed, or if you weren't using a boot flag, please:

2. Reproduce the issue in the Witcher game( also tell us which one).

3. Collect a technical report (click Parallels icon -> Help -> Send technical data -> check "Attach screenshots..." -> press Send Report) and send us the report's 9-digit ID in a reply to this post.

Thank you!

8. Maxim Rasulov

Hello,

We're glad that there is a suitable workaround.

However, it would help us improve, if you would assist us with feedback on some technical data from Solasta with and without the bootflag:

1. Run the virtual machine and Solasta with the workaround flag applied.

2. Collect a technical report (click Parallels icon -> Help -> Send technical data -> check "Attach screenshots..." -> press Send Report) and send us the report's 9-digit ID in a reply to this post.

Then, please remove the boot flag, reproduce it and collect a different report:

Once it's removed, please:

2. Reproduce the issue in Solasta.

Then, apply it back and keep using this workaround in the meanwhile.

Thank you!

9. AshleyP

AshleyP Bit poster

Thank you Kristensen for your fix. I was going slightly crazy dealing trying to play Battletech (2018) and this fixed it. Much appreciated.

10. MatiasP1

MatiasP1 Bit poster

This totally fixed the new Baldur's Gate 3 issues with disappearing floors and terrain! Thank you!
    The game runs wonderfully on a Macbook Pro with an M1 Max @ 8 CPUs + 24gb RAM!

11. Markadown

Markadown Bit poster

I'm adding to the chorus. This seems to have fixed it for Baldur's Gate 3 for my Macbook Pro M1 Max with 64gb RAM.

12. ErynCerise

ErynCerise Bit poster

I think I may be having this issue when trying to play The Complex: Found Footage. No settings I change with the game, the virtual machine, Parallels, or my Mac seem to have any effect, including the Boot Flags fix.

Here is a video showing the graphical issues I'm having with the game:

It's basically unplayable, with most of the scenery either invisible/blacked out or constantly flickering in and out of existence. Anyone have any ideas what might be wrong?

For reference, here are some relevant specs for my setup:

Mac Specs
    iMac Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017
    Processor: 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7
    Graphics: Radeon Pro 580 8GB
    Memory: 40 GB 2400 MHz DDR4

VM Specs
    64-bit OS, x64-based processor
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7700K CPU @ 4.20 GHz
    RAM: 8.00 GB
    OS Build: 22621.1702

Let me know what other information might be relevant to post for figuring this out. Or should I just accept that this game is unplayable on my machine?

Tom52 likes this.
  13. Tom52

Tom52 Bit poster

Hi everyone,

I'm facing a similar issue with graphics in certain games. I have a video showing this here...

My Mac Pro specs are good and I have 160Gb of RAM. I had the same graphics issue prior to the ram upgrade. specs and settings below, let me know if anything else is of use and I'll post a screen shot.

I have also submitted a technical report (if a mod asks.. ref 437131753) and raised a support request, so I am posting here to share my pain in these weird and wonderful graphics issues where textures flicker, don't load, are invisible, etc etc.

I tried both hypervisor settings, adjusting manually the CPU allocation and RAM but nothing has helped. I also tried each resolution setting below, its currently set to scaled purely as that was the last one I tried. I am using the Gaming pre-set.

Some games work really well though, so im hesitant to buy more without fully understanding the issue incase they don't work and I waste money.

I also tried the boot flag above, and another scaling boot flag I found somewhere else with no luck.

Anyone have any updates or other thoughts on this?

I really wish Parallels could use my actual graphics card and not just RAM / VRAM for graphics but there you go!
    Screenshot 2023-09-29 at 09.10.34.png Screenshot 2023-09-29 at 09.10.49.png Screenshot 2023-09-29 at 09.10.59.png Screenshot 2023-09-29 at 08.58.28.png

14. BrandonM10

BrandonM10 Bit poster

I'm having the same exact issues when trying to play The Complex: Found Footage as well. Would love to know if there is any type of solution for this game.

15. Tom52

Tom52 Bit poster

Im starting to sense this is a game specific issue... but I have no idea why.
    To update my previous post, I have now installed extra ram in my Mac Pro so that parallels gets 120GB of RAM, with 60GB for graphics.
    This hasn't resolved the issues with particular games I had before, these still don't really load in the textures etc at all.
    But other games run smoother. Iv even got the Tony Hawk 1+2 remaster running well through steam with the lowest in game graphics settings.

I submitted the issue to tech support and they came back with the fact it's gone to the devs to continue looking into. Fingers crossed I get some resolution back eventually.

What's annoying is there is no way of knowing before you commit some money to buying games and finding out the hard way!

16. BrandonM10

BrandonM10 Bit poster

Exactly. I wish we knew if Parallels had a fix in place or if we should just hang up the cape and just get a PC instead. I really thought having Parallels would be the answer to Mac gaming, but not sure that's really the case.

17. nomadgeek

nomadgeek Bit poster

I have had this issue for YEARS since I switched to a MacBook. I decided to give it another shot with a new game I wanted since I recently purchased a new M3 MacBook. Nope! Same shader problem. Well, let me search the web again to see if I can find a solution this time. Bam! It's the first search result. I probably gave up right before this thread started. Solved this issue entirely. How is this not a checkmark somewhere at this point? Have I just missed it?

Gold of a find. All-hail the OG that posted it.

18. DanteG1

DanteG1 Bit poster

I'm having an issue with System Shock remake. Doors appear invisible and the solution posted here doesn't fix the issue. Could I get some help?

19. Pramesh Boodadoo

Pramesh Boodadoo Staff Member

Hello,
    For us to further investigate this issue, while reproducing the issue and collect a technical report (right-click Parallels icon in Dock > Help > Send technical data > check "Attach screenshots..." > press Send Report) and provide us with the report's 9-digit ID in reply to this post.
    Thank you.

20. els1

els1 Bit poster

Hello, I have to face problems like this whenever I play a baldi's basics game. I'm running windows 11 pro on a 2023 MacBook pro 14 inch. Is there any way that this could be fixed? Thank you. (oh and im kinda new to parallels; i started using it less than a month ago, so yeah)