Cisco VPN issue

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by ibsscott, Jul 13, 2006.

1. ibsscott

ibsscott Bit poster

I am able to succesfully create a tunnel to a server with CISCO VPN Client 4.03 on my guest XP partition. Once I log in, I am using a simple client that sends a packet of data to a port on that server and expects a response back. I receive a message that I am unable to connect to the IP and port specified. I am however able to successfully connect using the same software on an XP only machine.

I turned off the windows firewall and virus software to try and get it working but no luck. On my XP only machine, I do need to turn off the firewall to get it to work so I suspect there is something blocking my ports on my virtual XP machine. Maybe on the Host Mac side? Any idea what the problem may be? I really am dreading having to go to boot camp.

2. ibsscott

ibsscott Bit poster

Well, the problem is not Parallels. And it is not the Cisco VPN client. It occured to me that the PC the VPN worked on was wired via ethernet and the macbook was wireless. So I wired up the macbook and voila! So now I have a new problem of why is my Belkin Pre-N router not allowing the traffic. My log shows alot of DoS attacks, "HOST Attack: UDP Flood". I'm not sure how I will solve this one just yet.

3. darkone

darkone Forum Maven

if its anything like my linksys, you need to reboot the router when swtching between machines that are going to use a vpn client.
    IPSEC passthrough seems to set itself up for one MAC (not apple mac obviously) address and until you reboot the router, only that MAC will be able to establish a connection to your vpn server.

4. ibsscott

ibsscott Bit poster

Perhaps you are right. I updated the firmware and the problem went away but maybe that's simply because it restarted the router.