Clean Re-install?

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by Lew, Dec 6, 2007.

1. Lew

Lew Member

I would appreciate instructions for doing a clean re-install. I have checked the manual and done a forum search and can't find the procedure.

Does it require re-entering the activation key? If so, do I need both my original key and upgrade to 3.0 key?

Thanks...

Lew

2. Ephra

Ephra Member

same question for me.
    ..and after that clean install, will all my windows software + content/settings be intact?

3. drudas99

drudas99 Bit poster

me too

I tried the upgrade and now I get a blue screen and can no longer access windows outside of safe mode. AAARRGGGHHH!!!

4. K-Dee

K-Dee Member

This was posted a couple of weeks ago:

If you have a Parallels Desktop for Mac CD, please insert it into your
    Mac CD/DVD drive. The Uninstaller application is there.

If you have previously downloaded Parallels Desktop for Mac from the
    web site as a .dmg package, please double-click it. Once the .dmg
    package is mounted, you will see an Uninstaller application there.

Launch the Uninstaller application and follow the on-screen
    instructions.

Please verify if these folders and their enteres exist and delete them
    in that case:

b. Go to Finder->Applications->Utilities->Terminal. Type and run the
    following commands:
    • sudo rm /System/Library/Extensions/vmmain.kext
    • sudo rm /System/Library/Extensions/hypervisor.kext
    • sudo rm /System/Library/Extensions/helper.kext
    • sudo rm /System/Library/Extensions/ConnectUSB.kext
    • sudo rm /System/Library/Extensions/Pvsnet.kext
    • sudo rm ~/Library/Parallels/
    Note: move your VM's to another folder if they are located in /Home/
    Users/<user name>/Library/Parallels
    • sudo rm /Library/Parallels/
    • sudo rm ~/Library/Preferences/com.parallels

c. Reboot your Mac and reinstall Parallels.

You will need your license key to reinstall Parallels.

5. Ephra

Ephra Member

..and after that clean install, will all the windows software + content/settings be intact?

I have a licensekey for my original 4560 version. From then I updated to 5160. Which one has to be uninstalled? And when I have to uninstall my 4560, how then can I use that key for 5582?

That Note thing: is that part of the command? (because it's in between all those dots)

'move your VM''s' -> I have one VM, using my BC-partition. How can I save that (like first question above) and where is that VM exactly located?
    'reboot and reinstall parallels' -> which one?
    I'm sorry but for me it's not very clear.

6. K-Dee

K-Dee Member

1. If you still have the .dmg file for 5160, use that. Your license key from 4560 should still work. And the note thing is NOT part of the command.

2. If your VM is on your Boot Camp partition, then there's nothing to move IMHO.

3. You have to reboot your Mac after you uninstall.

Hope that helps.

7. LBelg

LBelg Junior Member

I, too, would appreciate a simple how-to scenario for uninstalling a previous version before installing the latest build. The idea of going into terminal or having to manually search for various files and folders seems far more demanding than should be necessary. Parallels, for me, is a critical app. I use it only for work, but I cant live with sudden downtime or spend a great deal of time troubleshooting. I hope the Parallels team will post a point-by-point tutorial for doing this sort of thing if its regarded as essential for decent performance.

8. Ephra

Ephra Member

LBelg, exactly my words. i t's looking like regular MS scenario even more with all that troubleshooting. But MS I know well! (17 years) Mac for a few months...and I also use a lot of windows stuff for my work.

hi K-dee, thanks for your re's
    "1. If you still have the .dmg file for 5160, use that."
    You mean use that for uninstalling? And then 3. reboot and run the 5582 .dmg?

9. K-Dee

K-Dee Member

Yep. that's what you need to do.

10. jwjohnson99

jwjohnson99 Member

Easiest way to uninstall is to run the .dmg file for the version you are running now. It will give you an uninstaller. Run that. Then eject that .dmg and run the .dmg for the new version. Use the installer in that .dmg to install the new version. If you do it this way you shouldn't need to re-enter your serial #. You may have to restart your mac in order to load your VM, but most of my recent upgrades have not required that. If the installer crashes or the new version won't work then you might have to resort to the sequence in the Terminal app mentioned above, but I haven't had to do that since I first installed Leopard. If you are using Leopard make sure you have applied the 10.5.1 update.

11. Ephra

Ephra Member

thanks guys, I will try it, but I'm a bit scared I must say. Yes I have leopard 10.5.1
    Hmmm...Should I wait till auto-update give a sign that there is a new update available? cause when I downloaded the dmg. 5582 from the site the first time, the installer was hanging and I had to force a shut down. And I had to reenter my key and it was saying 'unvalid'.

thanks again for the support, much appreciated!

12. Ephra

Ephra Member

13. Ephra

Ephra Member

And yes, this instruction did it! *happy*

14. LBelg

LBelg Junior Member

Thanks for the link, Ephra. I probably won’t be able to install the newer version until this weekend. Please share your experience when you’re done. Maybe the hairs on my arms will stop standing up straight <g>. (Still seems a laborious process for a Mac application, but hopefully it works all right.)

15. LBelg

LBelg Junior Member

That was fast!

16. Ephra

Ephra Member

yes haha, we both posted at the same thime I guess.
    Well, I first made a good back up for all my windows-content, and also for my mac (I have not yet used T.M.) just to feel safe, if anything would go wrong.
    Did the instruction point to point and installing went perfectly! And most important: the issues I had in 5160 are gone!!

A big cheers for the parallels team!

17. rbh

rbh Member

I'm running 10.4.11.

I first removed the Parallels Tools from my VM, then followed the steps mentioned above with the old .dmg (uninstall of build 5160) and new .dmg (install of build 5582).

Worked quite seamlessly. Nice. :)

18. djamma

djamma Bit poster

I have 5160 running on 10.4.7 (not with Boot Camp). I want to upgrade to 10.5.1 and understand that 5582 is recommended for Leopard. Which should I upgrade first, my VM or my OS, (or does it even matter) and do I have to uninstall 5160 in either case?

Thanks!

19. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

Hello all,

Djamma, you should uninstall PD 5160 using .dmg file. Then upgrade to Leopard. Then install 5582. This way is supposed to be the best. Good luck.

Best regards,
    Xenos