Cloning NTFS partition out of DMG/raw image? OR How to get Parallels to boot it?

Discussion in 'Windows Guest OS Discussion' started by alien2k, Jul 18, 2007.

1. alien2k

alien2k Bit Poster

I've dug myself into a bit of a hole here - before I upgraded my Boot Camp XP install to Vista, I used Disk Utility to make a DMG image of XP's NTFS partition because I actually needed to do a clean install and increase the size of the Windows partition.

I've verified that the partition inside the DMG is indeed NTFS formatted, and should be bootable - so what I'd like to do is somehow clone/convert the DMG into an image that Parallels can boot from, but how??

What's very odd is that running the unix utility file on the DMG says:
    ./WinXP rwDUt.dmg: x86 boot sector, code offset 0x52, OEM-ID "NTFS    ", sectors/cluster 8, reserved sectors 0, Media descriptor 0xf8, heads 255, hidden sectors 90849320, dos < 4.0 BootSector (0x80)
    Which would indicate that it's not a DMG - but actually a raw clone of the partition (which is actually quite clever - Windows by itself can't do that!). Mac OS X must be simply acting on the file extension and the disk image stuff handling that so I can mount the image. It's really rather frustrating that Windows has no notion of disk images - if it all worked the same way as on Mac then I'd just boot from the install CD and restore the image from another drive!

So I suppose the real question is: how can I make Parallels boot from a raw partition image? I can't select it as a drive to add to a VM with either a .dmg or .img extension.

The only way I can think of, that should work (network drivers permitting, that is), is to set up a partimage server and clone across the virtual network - but that's a level of complexity I'd really rather not get into!