Coherence 2.0 still breaks OSX keyboard shortcuts

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by dbingham, Jun 8, 2007.

1. dbingham

dbingham Bit poster

It was a known bug in Coherence 1.0 and it seems to persist in 2.0. I (and others) reported this bug several times after Coherence 1.0 came out. Basically, when "Enable access for assistive devices" is turned on it System Preferences, Parallels decides that it is going to take over control of all keyboard shortcuts. This is mildly annoying while in OS Window mode, but it is easy enough to move the mouse off the window to get focus back on OS X. This makes Full Screen mode practically unusable with things like Virtue Desktops (this being one of the initial features that made everyone flock to Parallels). So, as a result I don't use Full Screen mode.

But thats OK, right? I can just use Coherence? Wrong. Coherence is even worse. When Coherence is running, every few seconds, if Parallels has focus or not, Parallels breaks all global shortcuts in OSX. This means that VirtueDesktops switching doesn't work. Expose doesn't work. Invoking a launcher like LaunchBar or Quicksilver doesn't work. CMD+Tab application switching doesn't work. I could go on. But you get the idea.

So, turn off "enable access for assitive devices" must be the answer, right? *sigh* That option is there for a reason. And it isn't so that random applications can dictate its usage for their whim. It is there to support assistive devices. If an application really wants to base some functionality on a toggle, provide a preference in the application. Don't hijack an OS function for your own purposes.

I'm not into the histrionics of proclaiming that I'm switching to VMWare and Parallels sucks, etc. VMWare has its own problems. But this is a long standing bug that causes no end of headaches and has received *no* response from Parallels. I think we deserve some kind of acknowledgment from Parallels, and some statement of investigation into the problem/possible time frame for a fix.

-dbingham

History:
    http://forum.parallels.com/thread6894.html