Coherence and Build 5582

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by eon, Dec 7, 2007.

1. eon

eon Junior Member

I've been having problems with Coherence in all builds after 4128, and build 5582 is no exception. I had hoped that since this was an official release that the issues had been resolved, but alas, that is not the case. There is an improvement to the issue, but it is still not working as designed.

I'm running a Mac Mini with a 1.66GHz Dual Core CPU and 2GB of RAM. I have 10.5.1 with Parallels 5582. I did an uninstall and reinstall of Parallels, and installed the latest Parallels Tools. In all the previous threads about Coherence and builds following 4128, I've gone through all the settings recommendations. Nothing yet.

Here's the behavior: I have Firefox Mac open in the foreground and Outlook 2007 open in Parallels in the background. I can see the portion of the Outlook window that is not covered by Firefox, and I click on that window to bring it to the foreground. Parallels as an application comes to the foreground, and any keystrokes I enter will interface with the Outlook window that's in the foreground from the Windows perspective, but the Firefox window stays visible on top of Outlook. If I Command-Tab in and out of Parallels, Outlook will come to the foreground when focus shifts back to Parallels. If Firefox is in the foreground and I click on the Parallels icon in the dock, all of the Parallels windows come to the foreground. But if I click on the partially-hidden window of a Windows application, that window will never come to the foreground unless I take one of the other two actions described previously, with the key element being shifting focus back to a Mac app and then back to Parallels.

This is better than the previous behavior where no matter what I did, the Windows application windows would never come to the foreground and I'd have to minimize the Mac application windows to see any of the Parallels apps, and this is to a point where I can probably make use without a great deal of headache. But bottom line, it's broken. It worked in 4128, it hasn't worked for me in any build since.

My whole point with even sticking with 4128 was for productivity reasons. I spend about 50% of my day in Windows apps and 50% in Mac apps and am constantly switching back and forth between them. But I'm really, really needing to run Leopard now, and build 5582 at least gets me far enough into Leopard that I can probably make the switch now, provided that I can get some resolution to this display issue.

It's also worth noting that I do NOT have this display problem when running Unity mode under VMWare Fusion. Which is honestly backup plan #2 if I can figure out how to get the windows taskbar to display above the dock and not behind it.

I'd appreciate any thoughts or help with this. It's been driving me nuts for months now.

-ERiq

2. alexg

alexg Parallels Developers

Dear Eriq,

I'm sorry for giving you troubles. You can set "Group all windows" Coherence option ON to solve the problem. It is temporary solution but it will brings Parallels applications to the foreground.

Alexander