Coherence and Multiple Monitor Problem

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by Leonard, Jul 9, 2007.

1. Leonard

Leonard Member

I am having an odd problem that I am guessing is likely an OS or PD configuration error on my part.

I am running PD 3.0 on a MBP running OSX 10.4.10. My Win XP VM works perfectly fine in Windowed or Full Screen modes; it even works fine in Coherence BUT I cannot move the Coherence'd Window apps to the external monitor.

Full screen and/or Window work fine on the external monitor, but switching to Coherence moves everything to the LCD.

Here is the part that confuses me. I have the displays arranged over (external)/under (LCD) in the Preferences when I have this problem. If I move the external to any other position then Coherence **WILL** let me move Window apps to the external. The only time it does not work is when I have them over/under. Side by side, for example, works fine.

Coherence is set to use multiple displays, exclude dock from the working area and to show and relocate the Windows task bar.

Any ideas?

2. AlanH

AlanH Pro

It looks as if Parallels can't move windows past the Mac's menu bar. If you arrange two screens any other way than with the menu bar between them then it works.

3. Leonard

Leonard Member

Yep, that does appear to be the case. If I leave them over/under but move the menu bar to the top screen I can move Windows apps to the external without a problem.

Is this behaviour normal for multiple displays? I don't think I had restriction previously; I think I first noticed is post 10.4.10 combo update. FWIW, I had a similar problem with ARD 3.0 not crossing into the external on my older PB, so I think I will go see if this was the same issue.

4. AlanH

AlanH Pro

It doesn't look as if it's a general OS X problem, as you can move Mac windows through the menu bar with no problem. I think maybe Parallels is specifically coded to prevent it for some reason.

5. Leonard

Leonard Member

Thanks again, Alan for the assist; it was really a drag to leave things in the OS window just to keep them on the second monitor. The only odd thing about moving the menu bar to the top monitor is when I try to use a menu item for an app in the bottom screen. I was using the LCD as my "main" working window and the external for the more static apps, but may switch it around. Seems that it would be a tad smarter since the external is larger, so I am not sure why I didn't always work that way. ;)

I do have another problem now that you've fixed my multiple monitor concern. :) My external is a Dell LCD 1280x1024 that I have rotated to portrait (1024x1280). When I switch to Coherence I get the warning message that the video memory is not sized properly to display in this mode and it looks really bad (images are aliased/stretched/etc). I have it set to 64MB so it can't go any higher and have switched back to landscape in the mean time.

6. AlanH

AlanH Pro

I have two 1280x1024 landscape screens on my MacPro. I arrange them side by side, which is the way they appear on my desk, and everything works fine for me. My mouse moves seamlessly between my two monitors. I would find it VERY odd to try to work with the logical arrangement different from the physical one. Is that the way yours is set up?

I only have a couple of apps that require XP, and I occasionally test web pages in XP browsers, so Windows is a minor irritation in my life. I don't use Coherence - I prefer to keep Windows firmly in its place in a separate box, so it's typically on my secondary screen, in a window, and hidden or quit when I'm not using it ... which is most of the time.

Re. your portrait problem: I imagine that Parallels has to try to create a rectangular area that is big enough to span both your screens, and it may be having trouble with your total height of 1280 + the MBP's height. It may be trying to make an area that's at least as wide as it is tall, to scale to one of the shape options available in the Parallels toolkit. If you must have them one above the other, have you tried increasing the video memory setting in the VM's memory settings panel? Also, have you tried adding a custom screen resolution that's just wide and tall enough to accommodate your two screens the way you use them? Look in the VM's video settings.

7. msttsm

msttsm Bit poster

Yeah, I have the same Over/Under problem on v2 buld 3214... It's a bit of a drag not being able to really use Coherence. Good idea, just needs to have the kinks worked out...

Oh well, at least Fullscreen work well...

8. Leonard

Leonard Member

msttm, you did see that Alan's suggestion to move the menu bar to the top screen would allow Coherence window apps to move up, right? The problem was crossing through the Apple menu bar, so if it is not "in the way", by display arrangement or my menu bar position, then Coherence works as designed. I'll admit it takes some getting used to having the menu bar in a different location, but it better than being forced to have all Window apps on a single screen.

9. msttsm

msttsm Bit poster

Yep, I saw it, but that is a workaround and the Parallels folks need to fix this problem. As it also states above, this is the only app that doesn't work as it should.

I'm going to look for an ExpressCard device that will let me add a 2nd monitor to my MacBook Pro, then having them side by side won't be awkward. I tried it the side-by-side way, but with the monitors physically above/below, and it felt like being tapped under the ice and looking for the hole to go up to the top monitor... :^)