Coherence is Dead

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by hydseek, Dec 25, 2006.

1. hydseek

hydseek Member

Ever since I made the mistake of upgrading to the new Beta 2, I have had nothing but problems and my whole system, including BootCamp is thoroughly messed up and I am unable to boot via Bootcamp since the keyboard is completely dead apparently because Parallels removed all the utilities installed by Apple BootCamp to make the partition work - I have no option but to reinstall Windows XP on my bootcamp. What is glaring though is that Coherence is completely dead on this version and is dead even when I revert to the old version. In fact, Coherenc is no where to be found in the Parallels Tools folder even though the installer says it is installing Coherence. Not sure what I should do next except never to try Beta Versions of software especially when Parallels also has a dead support system in place.

2. constant

constant Forum Maven

Beta is fraught with danger. As in, not for production systems.

3. joem

joem Forum Maven

When I install beta software, it is ALWAYS after a full system backup so that I can go back to where I was if I don't like what the beta is doing, or it does something unexpected.

I endorse this philosophy for everyone. Good backups would have solved a substantial percentage of the problems folks have posted about here. I've tried lots of "dangerous" experiments with Parallels, and when some of them didn't work, good backups have saved me every single time.

Consider it.

4. alkalifly

alkalifly Hunter

Just to extend joem's good advice a bit further: I make VM backups not only when I install a beta build, but in fact, EVERY time I upgrade, even if it is an official release