Coherence or Full-screen up to 20" NO problems, 23" reveals issues

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by Olivier, Dec 4, 2006.

1. Olivier

Olivier Forum Maven

Okay, by now I suppose this is very well known by Parallels Team.

Using my MacBook Pro (April'06 model), no cosmetic or crashing problem of any sort using XP-SP2 VM and Coherence mode on the MBP screen.

Exactly same success with my 20 " Display connected on the MBP. I spent a wonderful week-end with this configuration at home.

Though here at office, same MBP, but it is the 23" Display, and I see some of the problems reported by others :

- a) switching to Coherence : sometimes it works though the resolution of Windows is wrong, sometimes it just disappear yet the VM runs. I can then recover it by using Parallels menu to switch to full screen and then my keyboard shortcut to bring it back to windowed mode.

- b) switching to full screen: I loose full colors

--> The only real workaround on the 23" display is just to NOT switch to coherence nor full screen and stick with windowed mode (which is viable due to the large dimensions of the screen).

Something I see in the Windows screen settings : when i move the resolution slider, as long as it is on something smaller than 1920x1200, I see 32 bits color depth in Color Quality. As soon as the slider hover on 1920x1200 it drops to 24 bits. I won't re-install build 1970 just to verify that, but I'm pretty sure it didn't drop to 24 bits before on the 1920x1200 setting.

I suppose there is some mistake in the memory handling of the virtual video card for resolutions larger than some figure (1680x1050 clearly has no issue at all and 1920x1200 has problems).

Excellent work guys!
    Congrats to all of you!

2. coc

coc Bit poster

The solution has been provided in another thread. At least it worked for me. Just set the color quality in Windows to 16 bit.

3. Olivier

Olivier Forum Maven

Thanks!
    I will test this tomorrow at office (I'm now back home on the 20" and experiencing no issue).
    Anyway this is barely a workaround, not a solution.
    Previously, I had no visible problems switching to full-screen on the 23".
    So I am sure this is related to some changes while introducing the Coherence mode.
    I am confident Parallels will fix this in a next built before the release.