Compressor Fried Windows 2000

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by hansderycke, Sep 27, 2006.

1. hansderycke

hansderycke Member

The whole story is a little more involved than the subject line suggests, but it's not inaccurate.

I've reported before that SuperDuper! was unable to copy my win2000.hdd file. Today, I tried installing Boot Camp, but it failed, because a verification of the disk uncovered some issues. No problem, I run Disk Utility, and the disk is fixed. I try installing Boot Camp again, and it again fails because it can't move some files. The suggested solution is to back up the drive, format it, and restore the backup. So I go to SuperDuper!, back up everything but my win2000,hdd file, and then try to manually copy that file.

It doesn't work.

The OS reports that it can't read a part of the file, about 1.8MB into the 3.47MB file.

This is worrisome. If the OS can't read the file, then there's something seriously wrong.

So I decide to try the compressor. Maybe it will compress the virtual drive to beyond the problem spot. The compressor successfully removes temporary files, and then advises me to restart the VM, so that it can do some more magic. That's when things really go wrong. The VM starts up, gets to the white screen with the Windows logo and the blue progress bar at the bottom. When the progress bar is almost, but not quite, full, I get a BSOD. I can just make out something about an illegal instruction, and then the VM shuts down.

So there it is. I had a VM that was working fine, but was impossible to copy. Now I have a VM that just doesn't work anymore.

I need help. Or a hug. But I'd prefer help.

Edit: spelling of "worrisome."

2. joem

joem Forum Maven

If Parallels isn't running, and OSX can't copy the .hdd file, then there is something wrong with the .hdd file, and it's unlikely anything is going to fix it. Running compressor on a corrupted file seems pretty much a shot in the dark and unlikely to help. Figuring out why the file got corrupted in OSX would seem a reasonable first step to avoid future problems. Since there was corruption elsewhere on your disk, it sounds like a hardware problem. If the .hdd is corrupt, you'll probably have to start over. If it were me, I'd look for the reason for OSX file corruption.