Compressor won't run in RC2 1922 and OSX 10.4.8

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by jdonshik, Sep 30, 2006.

1. jdonshik

jdonshik Member

Recently upgraded to RC2 1922 and did all software updates yesterday
    I have a Mac Pro 2.66 2 GB and have never had any difficulty running any of the software builds. Only error I still get is the VT-x problem, solved by putitng computer to sleep

I have used the Parallels compressor tool in previous builds and it works as the manual describes.

In this new build, with OSX updates, when I go VM>run parallels compressor while my guest os is running (windows xp) nothing seems to happen anymore. There are no additional dialog boxes and nothing telling me that parallels compressor is running. Otherwise, everything else works as advertised.

Anyone else having trouble?

Otherwise, Parallels Desktop for Mac is an awesome piece of software.

Thanks, Jon

2. Robster

Robster Hunter

Hmmm

I have JUST FINISHED running compressor on my MacBook Pro with build 1922 and OSX 10.4.8 all with not problem.

But maybe I run it different to you?

I click on the additions icon in the system tray of XP2, select Disk and run it from there?

Robin

3. jdonshik

jdonshik Member

If you are accessing an icon in the system tray, then you are probably running the disk compacting tool from Parallel Tools.

Go to Parallels, then click on VM at the top of the screen, and then in the drop down menu, select "Run Parallels compressor..."

Jon

4. sstringer

sstringer Bit poster

I, too, am having this problem, and I, too, am running a Mac Pro with the same version numbers (build 1922, OS X 10.4.8). Perhaps it's something to do with the new Xeon chips?

5. sstringer

sstringer Bit poster

No sooner did I reply to this thread and report the problem to Parallels did I figure out what's going on.

Selecting "Run Parallels Compressor" is a bit of a misnomer. Selecting this menu item actually loads a disc image, much in the way installing the Parallels Tools does.

If you have auto-run turned off in Windows, nothing will happen. You must open the disc image under My Computer manually. Then, everything runs just fine.

-Steve