[Configuration Tuning] What are the recommended settings for the various VM types?

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration' started by Aries@PF, Dec 7, 2020.

1. Aries@PF

Aries@PF Bit Poster

I'm currently using my MBP 2012 ("Unicorn" Model, Non-Retina, 2.7 Ghz, 16 Gb RAM, 1 Gb Discrete vRAM, 1.5 Gb APU vRAM) as as test bench for a wide number of Mac/Win OSes and as such really am not sure what I'm over/under tuning. Most of the VMs are intended to be bare OS installations with no intent to add software beyond updates. The remainder may have an app or two installed, but nothing that would make the VM cry about resource usage. I'm asking for some pretty specific details here, I know, but anything to keep the size of the VMs down and the performance per VM at peak (IE: Not slow during use) in the form of a settings tweak will be helpful.

I'm running (primarily) Parallels 16 on the triple boot SSD (Mojave, Catalina, [Patched] Big Sur) and will occasionally run a VM in one of the latter hosts (the desktops are synced accordingly). Because of this, my secondary storage (2Tb split HFS+/NTFS w/ Paragon r/w driver enabled) holds the VMs as to make life easier. I'm running Windows VMs covering Vista, 7, 8, 8.1, 10 (EVERY major release in a separate VM + one VM for Live usage) and MacOS VMs covering Mojave, Catalina, and [Patched] Big Sur. I'm trying to get older OS versions installed than these as well in the long run, but I'm having license activation issues (WinXP) and an apparently known issue for things like MacOS HS (reading up on now). I do need the ability to drag/drop/move files in/out of the VMs as necessary and believe to have things setup accordingly (IE: Parallels says "hey, let me fix that setting for you" when I try it).

All VMs are created using the Gaming option as it felt like that meant things were tuned to peak settings. I manually create a single Snapshot for each OS to make sure that (mostly just the Win10s) the Guest OSes don't update beyond where I want them. I've used a partially successful "Hide Update" app from MSFT for the Win10 VMs.

Here are the settings that I have for Every VM based on my lack of knowledge on how Parallels works plus adjustments Parallels has made based on my usage:
    • General Tab
      • Reclaim Disk Space oh Shutdown / Checked
    • Options Tab
      • Startup and Shutdown
        • Startup and Shutdown Manually / Checked
      • Sharing
        • Share Mac
          • Share Folders / None
          • Shared Profile
            • Share Mac user folder / Not Checked
            • Share cloud / Not Checked
            • Map Mac volumes / Checked