Configure Windows 10 VM to be reachable by other devices on the same network

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by KevinM8, Oct 24, 2018.

1. KevinM8

KevinM8 Bit poster

I'm running a Windows 10 VM on my MacBook using Parallels Desktop 14 for Mac Pro. My Windows VM has a web site running under IIS. Parallels network configuration is set to Shared, and I was able to determine the IP address of my Windows VM. By making an entry in my /etc/hosts file like so:
    10.211.55.3 MY-MACBOOK

I am able pull up my web site on the Mac side by domain name (https://MY-MACBOOK) and everything works including SSL.
    Now, I want this web site to be accessible by other devices on the same network. How do I expose the IP address of my Windows VM to the network that my MacBook is on?

What I really want is for my MacBook to effectively become a local internet. I'd like to broadcast a local wifi network where everything is coming off my MacBook. The purpose is for a booth at a conference where there is poor or little connectivity. I want other devices at our booth to be able to see my web site.

Thanks for any help.

2. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

Hi,
    If I understand your case right, then imho the most suitable way is to configure Port Forwarding. But it is available only in Professional edition of Parallels Desktop.

You need to configure forwarding of port 80 to the VM. When such a forwarding is configured, Mac-host starts to listen for incoming connections and forwards it to the VM. So you need to connect to IP-address of Mac-host

3. KevinM8

KevinM8 Bit poster

That's not a bad suggestion. However, what I'm currently trying instead is networking all devices together using a router to create a local intranet, and then setting my VM's connection on Bridged Networking instead of Shared. That should allow the router (hopefully) to issue an IP address to my VM that is reachable to other devices. Assuming that works I am still faced however, with the problem of DNS. In order for SSL certificates to work, other devices need to be able to hit https://MyMacBook/... I'm not sure yet how that is going to work.