Connection drops after a few minutes

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by pmattf, Oct 1, 2006.

1. pmattf

pmattf Bit poster

Using MacBook Pro, on airport home network (Qwest DSL, with 2wire modem/router).

I set the adaptor to Bridged Ethernet - en1: Airport/Wireles Adaptor.

The virtual machine comes up, and the network works great for about 3 minutes, and then it dies.

I haven't been able to connect at all with any other settings.

Help?

2. mokelvey

mokelvey Bit poster

In my experience the problem of networking NOTworking can be solved by reverting to OS X 10.4.5. Maybe 10.4.6 is OK, too, but none of the fixes offered by AppleCare (This is a Mac problem - NOT A PARALLELS PROBLEM) worked.

Zapping the PRAM didn't solve it, re-arranging the Network Port Configurations didn't solve it, nor did setting the Energy Saver to Computer Never Sleeps and unchecking Put HDs to Sleep when Possible did not solve the problem. These were AppleCare recommendations. Their last suggestion was to reinstall the system, which I did with the original disk that came with my Mac Mini - Mac OS 10.4.5. - System Archhive and Install (in my case with personal settings).

The problem is that 10.4.7 and 10.4.8 are flawed upgrades for SOME Intel Core Duo processors (apparently not all of them) so the affected Mac should be downgraded to 10.4.5 (and maybe 10.4.6) until the Apple people solve the system software flaws. This is the solution that worked for me. I hope it helps someone else.
    mokelvey