Considering buying parellels, can I run mac via windows?

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by becool0130, Jan 24, 2009.

1. becool0130

becool0130 Bit poster

Hi,

Im considering buying parallels and yes I have heard alot of problems with the software in this forum but I still wanted to give it a try. Since, I am buying the new macbook pro 17 inch for education use, more specifically developing games using systems like ps3 and xbox and so forth. I need the power of virtualised windows and mac to very efficiently play games.

My question is:

1) Will parallels run moreefficiently with a boot camp partition or without?
    2) If it will run faster with a partition, then will I be able to access mac from the native boot camp running windows?
    3) If not #2 then is there any possible way to run mac in a vm while in windows utilizing parallels?

Thanks in advance,
    Tim

2. becool0130

becool0130 Bit poster

Just wanted to know if you guys have any questions I could answer to make the process smoother while Im waiting?

Thanks,
    Tim

3. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

1) Yes.

2)You'll need something that can read HFS+, like 'HFSExplorer' (free), or 'Macdrive'.

3)Not really.

4. becool0130

becool0130 Bit poster

Thanks for the response specimen! By the way, just wanted to be sure we are on the same page. Did you mean #1) is yes, meaning that parallels will run much effieciently with a windows boot camp partition? or did you mean without?

Secondly, I could have sworn-and Im not positive and maybe not seeing things correctly- I saw somewhere on these forums that it is possible to run mac(via vm or something) and windows(not or with vm?) by using parallels?

Thanks again!
    Tim

5. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

Oh yeah, I ignored the 'without' in your question, now that a re read the question I think the without is unnecessary. I mean Yes it runs faster with bootcamp.

The only supported virtualization of a Mac is Mac OS Server under Parallels Desktop or Parallels Server running on OSX.

6. becool0130

becool0130 Bit poster

ok thanks. Will my analysis then be correct if I said the configuration would be similar to:

1) Hardware>OS>Parallels; for Parallels without bootcamp?

2) Hardware>OS>Parallels>OS; for Parallels with bootcamp?

Im asking this becuase if this holds true then wouldnt there be an extra step in the process for running Parallels with bootcamp? In turn meaning a less efficient run time if Im correct?

Thanks,
    Tim

7. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

You're way off.

The difference is that the disk instead of being a file (virtual disk) it's a real partition.

8. becool0130

becool0130 Bit poster

I stand corrected! I knew Id somehow be way off.

Thanks,
    Tim