Consistent Kernel Panics when Running Parallels w/ Windows XP

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by augustine.andrew, Aug 2, 2006.

1. augustine.andrew

augustine.andrew Bit poster

Greetings all. I run Parallels just about every day w/ Win XP Pro SP2 as the guest OS. However at least once a day my Mac crashes with the below kernel panic. I searched a bit and it does not seem like this is a common problem. I'm not doing anything crazy in Windows. I'm using it with a Sonicwall VPN client, usually over a wireless Internet connection. Do you think this is a Parallels or Mac Hardware issue? The details are below my name.

If this is a common problem then does someone now a way to help make this stable so its usable.

Thank you!

Andy

System details:
    MacBook Pro
    OS 10.4.7
    1GB RAM

Parallels: Build 1848

Guest OS: Win XP Home SP2

panic(cpu 0 caller 0x003500DC): mbuf address out of range 0x2c0208
    Backtrace, Format - Frame : Return Address (4 potential args on stack)
    0x13d33eb4 : 0x128b5e (0x3bc46c 0x13d33ed8 0x131bbc 0x0)
    0x13d33ef4 : 0x3500dc (0x3dbeb8 0x2c0208 0x2e05b94 0x2e05b00)
    0x13d33f14 : 0x350483 (0x25966100 0x28fce58 0x13d33f74 0x13d33fb0)
    0x13d33f34 : 0x897854 (0x25966100 0x1 0x48afc0 0x0)
    0x13d33f54 : 0x1f7650 (0x3013c80 0x29dc204 0x2 0x13d33fb0)
    0x13d33fa4 : 0x1f7834 (0x29dc204 0x25966100 0x2596a012 0x1)
    0x13d33fd4 : 0x197b19 (0x0 0x0 0x2490ca8 0x134aec) Backtrace terminated-invalid frame pointer 0x0
    Kernel loadable modules in backtrace (with dependencies):
    com.parallels.kext.Pvsnet(2.2)@0x895000

Kernel version:
    Darwin Kernel Version 8.7.1: Wed Jun 7 16:19:56 PDT 2006; root:xnu-792.9.72.obj~2/RELEASE_I386

Model: MacBookPro1,1, BootROM MBP11.0044.B02, 2 processors, Intel Core Duo, 2.16 GHz, 1 GB
    Graphics: ATI Radeon X1600, ATY,RadeonX1600, PCIe, 256 MB
    Memory Module: DIMM1/BANK 1, 1 GB, DDR2 SDRAM, 667 MHz
    AirPort: spairport_wireless_card_type_airport_extreme (0x168C, 0x86), 0.1.24
    Bluetooth: Version 1.7.5f10, 2 service, 0 devices, 1 incoming serial ports
    Network Service: AirPort, AirPort, en1
    Network Service: Parallels Host-Guest Adapter, Ethernet, en2
    Serial ATA Device: ST910021AS, 93.16 GB
    Parallel ATA Device: MATSHITADVD-R UJ-857
    USB Device: Built-in iSight, Micron, Up to 480 Mb/sec, 500 mA
    USB Device: Apple Internal Keyboard / Trackpad, Apple Computer, Up to 12 Mb/sec, 500 mA
    USB Device: USB Trackball, Logitech, Up to 1.5 Mb/sec, 500 mA
    USB Device: IR Receiver, Apple Computer, Inc., Up to 12 Mb/sec, 500 mA
    USB Device: Bluetooth HCI, Up to 12 Mb/sec, 500 mA

2. rbodman2@mac.com

rbodman2@mac.com Junior Member

I, too, have been getting big problems with OS X after I run Parallels. I find that many Mac programs don't start up correctly. They start and then quit. I have to update the services, update the locate and what is databases and correct permissions. Then things are more or less ok until I run Parallels again.
    This happens on my MacBook and MacBook Pro.

Have no idea what to do, but am confident Parallels is the culprit.:mad:

3. chbj

chbj Bit poster

Kernel panic etc.

Hi,

First of all, I have only used a trial license (now expired) on an iMac of the release 1848 and tried several operating systems (XP sp2, ubuntu, feodora). I have two issues with the otherwise very nice and useful product.

* Installing Parallels creates severe instability issues in OSX.
    i.e. Kernel panics, launch issues etc.

I believe one does not actually have two run Parallels to experience these issues
    as long as the parallels startup items are loaded ( /Library/StartupItems/Parallels ).
    These include some low level kernel extensions.

Also, the problems seem to only occur after wake-up.

I have run the machine without the startup items and the problems goes away
    (as far as I have seen, i.e. a couple of days without problems). Put them back in and
    "hello trouble city".

* International Keyboards

A more configurable (perhaps even translation) handling of the keyboard would be nice.
    (@ is located on alt-2 etc.).

As a result of the frequent crashes (kernel panics etc) I have decided to put my purchase order on hold until the severe issue with the instability has been resolved. I.e. I need my machine to be up and running for more than a couple of hours.

To the Paralles team:
    Keep up the good work and hopefully the bug will be stomped in the near future!
    (soo I also can become a user).

Only my two cents...

Best regards,
    Christian

4. VTMac

VTMac Pro

Not sure why you guys are getting these problems. I use Parallels on my MBP extensively - all day - everyday - and haven't had any of the above problems. And that includes putting the MBP to sleep with Parallels running. I generally alway sleep my MBP. Presently I have rebooting in over 1 month and just sleep - all with no problems. KPs similar to what is described occurred with early betas but seem to have been fixed. Perhaps if you used a Parallels beta, you have some old files left over??? This was definitely a problem previously as the original beta's had no uninstall and mid beta cycle, Parallels changed install locations causing duplicate files and other problems. The other thing that will definitely cause these types of problems is using an old version of Parallels Tools. If you had an older beta installed with Paralles Tools in your VM, you will need to uninstall Parallels Tools from the VM, reboot, then reinstall the correct Parallels Tools.

If none of these apply to you, then I'm sorry to say I can't help.

5. Andrew @ Parallels

Andrew @ Parallels Parallels Team

We had number of kernel panics reports because of corrupted memory installed in Mac. They happens when using Parallels because it uses memory very intensive. These kernel panics are go away after changing bad memory to good one. Most likely this is the case.

6. chbj

chbj Bit poster

Bad memory

Hi,

I have of course suspected this also, but it is Apple memory (factory installed) and I have run memory test with no faults (extensive and several times). I think one can rule memory errors out, but I will put the machine through the tests again just to make sure. I also run application (technical like Spice simulators thar gobble memory and it has sofar not given me problems.

It is interesting that it works for some. How much memory do you have installed (I have 1GB single so-dimm)?

As i takes a while before it crashes I suspected things like a memory-leak in the code or some
    conflict with the virtual memory handler, but it is just guess work from my side.

As I said before: Keep up the good work!

Best regards,
    Christian

7. rbodman2@mac.com

rbodman2@mac.com Junior Member

I was unable to start Parallels without having Parallels in the /Library/Startup Items folder.
    What did you do to make parallels work without the startup items?

Thanks,

Dick
    rbodman@vmsgroup.com

8. chbj

chbj Bit poster

no startup items

Hi,

Oh, I was a bit unclear - Sorry. I did not run Parallels without the startup items (you can't).

I tried to reduce the number of possible variables and as the Parallels startup items are
    loaded when you log-in together with that without these (and Parallels of course) I have not seen any problems. I was trying to see if it was the kernel extensions by themselves or the actual program that have a potential issue.

I have not seen problems with Parallels (well..) as long as the machine has not put itself to sleep (accordingt to the time set in the system controls). Normally the problems show themselves as: one can't start new programs or programs including the windowserver crashes (normally not kernel panics though). It also seems that a longer time period must pass (i.e. over night) - could it be a memory-leak?

If remember correctly I have tried to test by:

1. Run Parallels (with startup items) and let the machine go to sleep over night.
    2. Run Parallels (with startup items), quit Parallels and let the machine go to sleep over night.
    3. Never run parallels but have it installed, i.e. just running the startup items.
    4. No startup items (and no Parallels).

And my first impression of these tests is pointing at the loaded startup items cause problems coming back from sleep, but in all honesty more testing (by more people) is needed.

It is a bit late now here in Sweden... So I have to wish you all a good night :)

Best regards,
    Christian

9. VTMac

VTMac Pro

I've got 2GB. And I've seen numerous reports of the Apple memory test not identifying faulty memory, so I wouldn't take that as gospel. As for memory leaks, I doubt there are any significant ones. As I said previously I've run Parallels with XP 24/7 for a full month, while only sleeping my MPB (no reboots), and have had no problems.

10. chbj

chbj Bit poster

no startup items

Hi,

Oh, I was a bit unclear - Sorry. I did not run Parallels without the startup items (you can't).

I tried to reduce the number of possible variables and as the Parallels startup items are
    loaded when you log-in together with that without these (and Parallels of course) I have not seen any problems. I was trying to see if it was the kernel extensions by themselves or the actual program that have a potential issue.

I have not seen problems with Parallels (well..) as long as the machine has not put itself to sleep (accordingt to the time set in the system controls). Normally the problems show themselves as: one can't start new programs or programs including the windowserver crashes (normally not kernel panics though). It also seems that a longer time period must pass (i.e. over night) - could it be a memory-leak?

If I remember correctly I have tried to test by:

1. Run Parallels (with startup items) and let the machine go to sleep over night.
    2. Run Parallels (with startup items), quit Parallels and let the machine go to sleep over night.
    3. Never run parallels but have it installed, i.e. just running the startup items.
    4. No startup items (and no Parallels).

And my first impression of these tests is pointing at the loaded startup items cause problems coming back from sleep, but in all honesty more testing (by more people) is needed.

It is a bit late now here in Sweden... So I have to wish you all a good night :)

Best regards,
    Christian

11. majortom

majortom Member

I first would check that OS X alone is stable, permissions are ok etc etc. Then I would check memory assignments: not more than 512 MByte to Parallels and consequently the assigned RAM to each VM the sum of which must not, of course, be higher than the one assigned to PDM (512 in my example).
    Any other "strange" extension? APE manager (it's sometimes dangerous...)?
    I have vers. 1848 on mine with 384MBytes to Win and 384 to Ubuntu, 896 to PDM (don't know why but i chose to assign +128 to PDM + RAM of the two VMs) and many other Apps running on OS X. Everything fine. OF course, I have 2 Gbytes.

12. augustine.andrew

augustine.andrew Bit poster

Follow-up to Consisten Kernel Panic . . .

Thank you for the responses. I should note that running OS X without parallels running I have never got a kernel panic. Although I have not had enough OS X alone run time to verify that it never panics.

Two things of note. I have 1 GB of system memory (one chip), and 512 MB devoted to XP.

I first downloaded parallels w/ the last Beta than bought it and downloaded the first non-Beta release when it came out. So I just installed over my existing installation. Do you think that was unwise?

How can I backup my XP installation, remove parallels, re-install parallels, and get back to my XP installation.

I also am unfamiliar with what everyone is referencing as "Parallels Startup" stuff. Is there extensions I can shut off for stability. Is there a way I can show you my installation startup stuff to help debug?

I will contact Apple about replacing the memory (factory installed), but I wonder how they'll react when they see the kernel panic I posted. I doubt they'll do it.

Thanks again.

Andy

13. joem

joem Forum Maven

You might try reducing XP memory a bit, or adding another 1 gig memory module.

That's what I did and it works fine. Be sure to install the new Parallels tools.

Back up your .hdd file(s). These are your hard disks. then you can uninstall Parallels, possibly recreate your VM(s), and use your original .hdd files(s). Of course, there's no guarantee that it isn't your Windows installation that's causing or contributing to the problem.

14. troyburns

troyburns Junior Member

The OP has pretty much the same set up as me.

MacBook Pro
    Parallels Build 1848 (Guest OS = XP)
    Airport wireless

I'll point everyone to my thread, which links to an Apple thread about MacBook Pros and kernel panics with the Airport cards. The problem is with the logic board and/or Airport card. Sadly, the only known solution has been to get those replaced. I can't report yet on whether that actually works, because my machine is still being repaired.

http://forums.parallels.com/showthread.php?t=3413

A way to test that it is the wireless card/logic board and not memory or Parallels is to do large data transfers wirelessly. If the OP's problem is like mine, it may take awhile for the first kernel panic to occur, but after I get the first one the next ones are pretty easy to get. It's key that this is done wirelessly.

Then turn off your Airport card and do the same transfers using an ethernet connection. If it doesn't kernel panic, you've isolated your problem.

15. frogywill

frogywill Junior Member

I have experienced the same issues.
    Before I installed Parallels I never had any panic or issues at all.

Two days after installing it I had kernel panics and MBP not waking up from sleep (beach ball stuck on spin).