Constant freezing / hanging

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by eighteentee, Feb 12, 2007.

1. eighteentee

eighteentee Junior Member

OK, so I thought it might be my Windows XP install that was going a bit wrong so I just installed Vista Business and the same thing happens. Here's the low-down.

Every time I close a window in my virtual machine, either XP or Vista, the virtual machine becomes unresponsive for a couple of seconds, I get the spinning beach ball pointer in OSX then the window closes. This happens every time and the system is now more-or-less unusable with build 3150.

Anyone else encountering this?

2. Brit-007

Brit-007 Bit poster

Everything was fine with my 1970 build. I then installed the RC2 version. I followed the instructions and started windows. Uninstalled the tools. I then installed the new tools and windows has become really unstable. Keep getting blue screens and it keeps re-booting. I did notice that the tools only took up 0.79 mb.

3. erratica

erratica Bit poster

yep, just upgraded to 3150 from 3120, reinstalled the new tools and too am experiencing the issue with everything in XP hanging momentarily when closing windows.

My assumption is this has something to do with the tracking of application window names that parallels now does as part of its coherence feature.

Tried working full screen, windowed and in coherence mode but they all produce the same momentary hang when closing a window.

4. eighteentee

eighteentee Junior Member

Glad I'm not on my own on this one! Parallels could really do with getting their collective act together on this one... Especially when VMWare Fusion is rearing it's head over the horizon.

5. ragfield

ragfield Bit poster

I started having this problem with the previous release (3120?) and upgraded to 3150 in the hope that it might fix the problem. Unfortunately the problem still occurs in 3150.

Note that it does not happen probably the first 10-15 times or so that I close a window, but after it starts happening it does not stop until I restart the VM.

Here's a potentially useful piece of information. I use Parallels to develop Windows software on my Mac. While debugging one of my apps with Visual Studio I was able to verify that the hang takes place immediately after a call to

ShowWindow(theWindow, SW_HIDE);

and not DestroyWindow(theWindow) as I would have originally guessed.

-Rob

6. ragfield

ragfield Bit poster

Here's a SpinControl report.

Attached Files:

7. erikmedk

erikmedk Bit poster

Try to turn _on_ "Show applications in Dock". I had this turned off, but at some point I started having similar freezes. Turning it on again removed almost all freezes.

8. ragfield

ragfield Bit poster

Yes, I believe that is it. I turned it on yesterday afternoon and I have not seen any of the freezes since then.

9. BenInBlack

BenInBlack Pro

I'm having the same lockups, but dang it, they must have gotten miffed by my comments way back on this eyecandy, i am trying to turn it off but the are finding ways to have it on ;-)

I begrudgingly turned this on.

10. garretthes

garretthes Bit poster

I can't open this text file. It say's I don't have acces permissions....