Converting Virtual PC HD Images to Parallels

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by Jon Richardson, Jun 22, 2006.

1. Jon Richardson

Jon Richardson Member

Has anyone had any experience converting HD Images from Virtual PC to Parallels?

Here's my situation:

I've got VPC 7 running on my G5 iMac (OSX 10.4.6) and Parallels running on my MacBook Pro (10.4.6).

I can share files between the VPC and Parallels WinXP systems, (and, of course, share them all with both the Macs), but what I'd ideally like to do is simply move all the VPC HDs to Parallels. (I've got one Win 98SE, one Win 2k, and one Win XP).

As an experiment, I performed a Win XP full backup on the VPC system and then a restore to a blank HD Image in Parallels. This actually worked - up to the point where I tried to install the Parallels Tools on the restored system, then it crashed out (Not Parallels, just the Win XP system).

Obviously, the restored Win XP system under Parallels spent some time sorting out drivers etc to work with the changed environment, but after it had done that it was fine. It ran. Then I tried to install the Parallels extras and it crashed out.

(I had uninstalled the "VPC Additions" before doing any of this.)

Has anyone tried any of this with any more success? I'd be interested to hear of anyone's experiences.

2. Robster

Robster Hunter

There was anotehr thread where someone had used some kind of imaging or backup toolset but they also had a crash which they managed to fix.

I bit the bullet and installed everything from scratch.

In the end I think it saved me a lot of time.

Robin

3. beattyMBP

beattyMBP Member

How exactly did you do this? With TrueImage or Ghost? Something in XP I'm ignorant of ? -and that's a long list!

john

:cool:

4. Jon Richardson

Jon Richardson Member

You could use Ghost or some other product, but to answer your question, I simply used the "Backup" utility which can be found in the Accessories/System Tools path in Windows XP Pro.