cpu usage in program in XP guest

Discussion in 'Parallels Workstation for Windows and Linux' started by treestone, Jun 6, 2006.

1. treestone

treestone Bit poster

Hi all,
    I am running Xandros BE 3.xx as my main OS with XP as guest OS. I am really liking Parallels so far but there is one problem that renders my purchase of Parallels somewhat wasted unless I can find a solution.....
    In XP when I run Uleads PhotoImpact 11 (a graphics program with bells and whistles) it runs at 100% cpu just sitting there doing nothing.....

I don't know where the problem might lay but the only time the cpu drops to reasonable levels is when one of the PhotoImpact dialog boxes / file select windows is open and taking the focus from the main program. I have contacted ulead with little result and I thought someone here may be able to help.

Thanks for any help that can be offered

2. Andrew @ Parallels

Andrew @ Parallels Parallels Team

I am afraid it is not Parallels problem... Could you check CPU load in guest Windows XP (using task manager) when your program is *doing nothing* ? I suspect it still use 100% CPU for some reason...

3. treestone

treestone Bit poster

Good point Andrew, never thought to check that as I rarely use XP. It is indeed running at 100%. I was just fooled by the fact that it runs perfectly on the same machine with XP installed normally
    Thanks for your help.

4. treestone

treestone Bit poster

Well I have done a lot of testing of PhotoImpact 11 and PhotoImpact 10 in XP and Windows 2000. Got new copies, re-installed, followed every bit of advice from Ulead.

They both work fine in the straight Windows environment and it is only when run in a guest OS that they both consume 100% cpu (mainly USR), just sitting there with the main window open until a lesser window takes the focus. Interestingly it is the same deal when I try and run them in Win4LinPro, 100% cpu (mainly SYS tho), although it doesn't get quite so bogged down. This on the same machine.

The only difference I can see is that both Parallels and Win4Linpro use their own video drivers (as far as I can gather), and this, maybe, is where the problem may lay.....??
    This seemed confirmed to my distinctly untutored eyes as the exact same copy of PhotoImpact 10 runs perfectly under Win4Lin 9xx using the main system drivers, (PhotoImpact 11 needs XP or Win2000).

Anyway the only thing I can say for certain is that I am left with a program /s that do not work as advertised.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2006
  5. Andrew @ Parallels

Andrew @ Parallels Parallels Team

Thanks for reporting - we will try to reproduce it in our labs.