Create Bootcamp Drive from Parallels image

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by na9d, Apr 25, 2007.

1. na9d

na9d Hunter

Is it possible to do a "reverse transporter" somehow? I want to take my parallels image and put it onto a boot camp partition. I've discovered that my Sprint EX720 EVDO card won't do some of the updates to itself under parallels. So I figured if I can transfer everything to BootCamp, I should be able to get the best of both worlds.

I do not now have a Bootcamp partition. I figured I could make a partition and then expand the disk image onto that drive using disk utility, but then the drive would need to be FAT32 and not NTFS as OS X can't write to NTFS.

So I figured I'd ask here. I'd really rather not do a complete windows install just to be able to update my EVDO card...

Thanks,

Jon

2. spike1911

spike1911 Bit poster

You should be able to do so from within windows using Acronis TrueImage.
    I use it on my PCs all the time. There is no reason this shouldn't work in parallels and/or bootcamp.
    Single licence of that utility is around 50$.
    What could happen to you after migration is a windows driver and activation hell - so be careful...
    If you're not a too experienced windows tech guy you better have one at range.

3. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

Just dump your Parallels tools prior to the back-up and keep the install CD on hand for after a restore. You will have a BootCamp driver CD to keep the Hell a little cooler.

4. na9d

na9d Hunter

Thanks, Guys. I think I'll try this.

Do you have to have Bootcamp installed first (ie: Windows fully installed) or just the disk partitioned and formatted (I interrupted my Windows install on the Bootcamp partition)?

Thanks,

Jon