"Critical error" in Parallels Desktop 4

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration in Windows and Linux' started by MayankS, Sep 7, 2009.

1. MayankS

MayankS Bit poster

Hi,

I'm testing the new Parallels Desktop 4 on Windows. I can create machines, but when I try to boot them I get a popup saying "The Virtual Machine cannot be started due to a critical error." It doesn't give any more information or pointers to the nature of the problem (see attachment). This is on an Intel E6300 with Intel VT-x, so that isn't the issue.

Any pointers?

Attached Files:

2. BruceB

BruceB Bit poster

I have the same issue sadly.

The Beta Product Worked perfectly, and now the retail product has bugs??

Please advise ASAP.

Thanks

3. MayankS

MayankS Bit poster

For the record, I installed PD4 on a fresh Windows install and it works flawlessly. I've got loads of apps on the original installation and apparently PD4 conflicts with one of them.

4. BruceB

BruceB Bit poster

Which OS did u use?

5. MayankS

MayankS Bit poster

Windows XP

6. fretinator

fretinator Bit poster

My sessions last from a few minutes to an hour or so

My sessions last from a few minutes to an hour or so and then they crash with an error. I thought it was because I was using Ubuntu 8.04, so I upgraded to 9.04 - same story. I tried XP images, Vista Business, even XP-64. Same story. For the record, I am running 64-bit Ubuntu, so maybe it just not ready yet for 64-bit. Oh well, maybe in a month or two. At least it was only $39 as an upgrade from 2.2 (during the special). Also, I had no problem when I was unable to run 2,2 (before the Ubuntu kernel upgrades killed it). I'm sure things will stabilize eventually. I may try RHEL (i have a student license). If that doesn't work, I wait for my copy of Windows 7 and run Linux under Windows and see if that works. I REALLY prefer the host OS to be Linux, but it may not be an option with Parallels.

7. Jimido

Jimido Bit poster

the same question for me

8. BruceB

BruceB Bit poster

Now i guess that's where i went wrong.

Mine is Windows 7....

However, the Beta ran on it beautifully.

Have to go back to VMware.... :-(

9. fretinator

fretinator Bit poster

I must correct this post! It turns out I had some bad RAM, so the problem was not Parallels. I repeat, I had bad RAM, so please ignore my post. My bad!

10. thygesen

thygesen Bit poster

Same story here.. doesn't work

running XP.. sad.. had high expectations.. will now look for different software.
    good luck to guys.

11. Jason Cutler

Jason Cutler Junior Member

"The Virtual Machine Cannot Be Started Due To A Critical Error"

I have Parallels 5.0.9344

I get the message above every time I launch Parallels.

When I try a second time, it works fine.

Any explanations??

Mac OS X 10.6.3
    4GB RAM
    MacbookPro 3.06GHz Core2Duo

Attached Files: