Current Status of Stability of build 3188 on a Mac Pro?

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by fmfosnacht, May 26, 2007.

1. fmfosnacht

fmfosnacht Junior Member

I just purchased a MacPRo 3 ghz 4 core with 4 Gig of Ram, 2/750 gig drives in bays 1 and 2 striped RAID 0 (Mirroring) via SW (OSX Diskutility). I have the Nvidea GE Force 7300 GT card.

I am trying to run Parallels 3188 (1024 Meg, 32 Gig hard drive). Win XP install hangs during the installation of windows shortly after copying all of the files to the hdd. I get to the screen that says 39 minutes left to install windows and the install seems to stop... I have used Paralles on both an iMAc and my Macbook and it runs fine - very solid.

I am very confused about the current stability issues I see on this board with the MAC PRo. Can I run parallels on a my new machine?!! What is the current status?

Any help would be very much appreciated!

2. Phuong

Phuong Bit poster

i get a beach ball from time to time. when it gets worse, it happens every time i close a windows' window. i restart windows (not MP. and not quitting Parallels either) and everything's back to normal again. the restarting thing takes about 20 seconds at most.

overal performance is a little worse than that on MBP.
    but i've never had a crash or any trouble installing xp like you did. i too have 4GB on the MP so i give 1GB to XP. although i dont really know if that increases its performance.

3. Fing

Fing Bit poster

I updated to 3188, and it cashed into the black screen of death when i attempted to install the new tools..... so i deleted the VM and tried to install XP pro but i couldn't get past about the 24 min mark... it would either just stall or reboot back into setup, so many times i now know the cd verification code off by heart..... so i deleted the lot (wasn't that a saga! apparently the uninstaller doesn't... see the FAQ for more details) and reinstalled the original version of Parallels (2.2) and then XP then XP SP2 no problems..just a waste of 5 hours....i'm now trying to decide if i want to try the upgrade to 3188 again........?

Cheers

4. fmfosnacht

fmfosnacht Junior Member

You know you have a problem when you know the xp cd installation code by heart!

Lets see what other people have to say about 3188 on a Mac Pro. Do you use RAID? I have Raid 0 and am wondering if this might be a problem. Another thread on this problem on MBP suggest bad memory might be a problem... My memory is from apple, not sure how to test...

5. fmfosnacht

fmfosnacht Junior Member

You know you have a problem when you know the xp cd installation code by heart!

Lets see what other people have to say about 3188 on a Mac Pro. Do you use RAID? I have Raid 0 and am wondering if this might be a problem. Another thread on this problem on MBP suggest bad memory might be a problem... My memory is from apple, not sure how to test...

6. rufosx

rufosx Member

Its pretty bad for me. I had about one crash (either the VM would crash or the Mac would Panic) a week with 3 GB of RAM. After upgrading to 5 GB of RAM (no other changes), I crash about once a day.

I sure think its got something to do with the nVidia drivers in OS X, but I can't prove it. I do play World of Warcraft, and that seems to make the problem worse.

7. Mike Boreham

Mike Boreham Pro

I have a Mac Pro 2.66 with the X1900 card, 5 Gb RAM, dual monitors, and a Vista and an XP VM on an internal striped RAID made with Softraid. The striped Raid is NOT the boot volume.

Both Vista and XP are very stable. BUT I didn't install directly to the RAID. I installed both Vista and XP on to the boot drive and moved the VMs to the RAID later. Don't know if this is significant.

8. Art743

Art743 Member

Mine has been on a RAID all along, and is fine. One issue that I know is out there is that somtimes if Parallels tools have been installed, they need to be uninstalled by a special procedure (try a search, there have been several posts involving upgrades).

But as to the Mac pro and RAID, there is no issue. I have done it many times.

One comment... I always use the Parallels automatic install. I do not change any setting until after the install. Maybe either of those issues may have an effect. Hope it helps.

9. fmfosnacht

fmfosnacht Junior Member

Paralles Support (Resolver) has suggested that I make an ISO image of the Windows install CD which I have done. The win install runs fast, but still hangs at 13-14 minutes to go. I have tried both an expanding and a fixed hdd.

Thanks for you ideas... but my problem is still not solved!

10. fmfosnacht

fmfosnacht Junior Member

Windows is now installed. But I get the Blue screen of Death frequently....
    Whats next?

11. mattfreeman

mattfreeman Member

A solution to many mac pro related issues!!!

I have a mac pro and parallels was crashing on it all the time.

Eventually I realised that the cause was safe sleep mode and a corrupted sleepimage file.

Once I reset the pmu (turn on the mac pro while holding down the power button for 5 seconds until it beeps) and turned off safesleep and deleted the sleepimage file then stability went from 2-5 crashes a day to one crash a week.

Run these commands in terminal to disable safesleep

sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 0
    sudo nvram "use-nvramrc?"=false
    sudo rm /private/var/vm/sleepimage

12. djcabrera

djcabrera Bit poster

Hope this really works, I'm having the same issues!

MacPro 3.0 with 4GB ram, single 750Drive, Radeon 1900, dual 30" Cinema Display...
    OS X 10.4.9 and Para3188

I copied over a VM from a MacBook that was working just fine. I used a VM from BootCamp, and even a couple full fresh Windows XP machines built entirely from scratch in the OS X environment. Nothing is stable, only pure BootCamp works for me. Parallels just randomly crashes throughout the week. So annoyning. Is it that I'm pushing pixels with dual monitors and the 32 meg video limit is the culprit? The 8 cores more than Parallels may handle (no true support yet, right?) either way, so freaking troublsome.

I'll try your fix tonight, but I doubt it will work since it crashes while I'm using it, not before/during/after any type of sleep/suspend mode.

Keep up the work guys!