Data Synchronization

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by thompsam@us.ibm.com, Jan 29, 2009.

1. thompsam@us.ibm.com

thompsam@us.ibm.com Bit poster

Ever since I've upgraded to Version 4 of Parallels Desktop, I'm experiencing problems with "Data Synchronization". When switching between different snapshots of a VM, now that I'm on Version 4, I frequently see "Data Synchronization..." appear in the lower left hand corner of the Parallels window as I switch to a snapshot. While this message is present, the VM is not able to be used and this "Data Synchronization" process consumes most of the Mac resources, bringing my MBP to a crawl and pretty much making it unusable (repositioning the mouse in another Mac app can take 5 seconds.)

I've opened an issue with support on this, but the support folks keep sending me procedure to perform that have nothing to do with my actual problem and its been 3 weeks since I first reported it Has anyone else experienced this "Data Synchronization" issue on version 4 and if so, is there something you've found to get it to run in the background, allowing me to use the VM while it's doing its thing and keeping the "Data Synchronization" from consuming my Mac.

Sam Thompson

2. DaTa

DaTa Hunter

Hello, Sam,

Thank you for the message, an engineer has replied in the ticket of yours.

3. derbbre

derbbre Junior Member

I'm seeing this as well. Any chance of placing helpful information here instead of a private support ticket?

4. thompsam@us.ibm.com

thompsam@us.ibm.com Bit poster

Derbbre, I spent about 2 hours earlier this week in a remote debug session with a very knowledgeable person from Parallels support and unfortunately, her conclusion was that this is not a defect. Apparently the snapshot code was completely rewritten in Version 4 as while the version 3 code was faster, it also had a tendency to hose a VM from time to time. So the end result of my remote debug session was that she collected some data about my VM and is going to submit a new feature request to get someone to try to look at this problem in a future release. I wasn't very happy about this, but I wasn't given any other options to pursue.

Sam Thompson

5. derbbre

derbbre Junior Member

Thanks for the update. I'm having so many problems with v4, I'm upset I paid for the "upgrade". Don't really see the benefits. Anyway, glad to know I'm not the only one with the problem.

6. iJames

iJames Bit poster

Last day of the trial.... This answers my question...

Not going to upgrade... At least until this is fixed. I use snapshots a LOT...

7. phesopheon

phesopheon Member

Any news or updates about this issue?

8. Jigs Gaton

Jigs Gaton Product Expert

i am not sure news will every be forthcoming in this forum. But the news from lake woebehere is that it's still broke and useless.

9. Forrest Gump

Forrest Gump Bit poster

Parallels 4.0 was a big step backward. It's unfortunate, as 3.0 was pretty good.

10. SulemanF

SulemanF Bit poster

I'm having the same issue.

I have an XP Pro VM and whenever the data synchronization starts EVERYTHING slows to a crawl. I haven't used Pv3 so I can't compare it to Pv4, but I can't work on my Mac or in Windows!

And it's like every 5 minutes (it seems).

Is there a way to turn it off, or make it manual or change what is synchronized or anything?!

Please advise 'cause as of now it's unusable.

Thanks.

11. ertbor

ertbor Bit poster

Is it safe to terminate Parallels during Data Synchronization?

Now that Data Synchronization has been running for hours and I'm resigned to the prospect of having lost access to at least one of my snapshots, what will happen if I just kill Parallels and restart it?

12. Robert Herwick

Robert Herwick Bit poster

Same Problem

I'm having the same problem. Data sync runs forever making it impossible to safely exit or do much else until it stops. Does anyone know how to change to Boot Camp without losing all the installed programs and settings of Windows within Parallels. I'd rather reboot than wait an hour for Data Sync to stop.

13. ertbor

ertbor Bit poster

Waiting for Data Synchronization...

After 20 hours of Data Synchronization, I killed Parallels (via Force Quit). But now, I can't open any of my snapshots, even those I've been using already. Data Synchronization automatically starts each time I open Parallels, effectively locking me out. While I have a backup I can restore from, I don't want to keep running into the same problem. Is there any way of preventing Data Synchronization from running?

14. SulemanF

SulemanF Bit poster

It was synchronizing for 14 minutes and I couldn't use the XP VM or the Mac!!! And I had to Force Quit 2 apps and one app crashed (on the Mac)!!

This is beyond frustrating...I bought your software over your competitor because it was supposed to be faster!!!

Now what do I do!!

15. Forrest Gump

Forrest Gump Bit poster

Try the latest build

The latest Parallels 4.0 build appears to address the slow Data Synchronization problem. Give it a shot!

16. RossP

RossP Bit poster

I am running what I think is the latest version -- build 4.0.3846 -- under Snow Leopard. Today I received an e-mail notification from Parallels that a new version was available and had to start Parallels Desktop to check the build number. It was the same, and Data Synchronization brought my Power Mac to a creeping halt for about 5 minutes. Conclusion: The build may have addressed the problem, but not adequately.

I'd still love to know if there are data I can hide somewhere so they won't need to be sunchronized.

17. extensivegroup

extensivegroup Member

I have a valid license but cannot upgrade to the latest version via the application.

Where are the upgrade files for Parallels older versions?

How can I turn off data synchronization?

I'm attempting to rebuild an XP Parallels build that blue screened after an update to 3.0

I'm running 4.0 but cannot upgrade past version 3067. how do I upgrade!?!?!?

I am NOT going to 5.0.

18. I-che

I-che Pro

Hi extensivegroup,
    links to previous build and versions of Parallels Desktop can be found here:
    http://kb.parallels.com/en/5802
    You need to manually install latest build.

19. SaraA4

SaraA4 Bit poster

I'm having the same problem says "data synchronizing" for hours. When I call it says your too busy and I should call later. But I have a job to do I need this software; never should've upgraded.