Debian kernel / paralles-config problems

Discussion in 'Parallels Workstation for Windows and Linux' started by kingdon, Apr 26, 2007.

1. kingdon

kingdon Bit poster

I'm a newbie here and to linux. I'm sorry for the long post but I hope that someone can help get me on the right track.

I come from a Windows/Cygwin environment and would like to move to a primary linux OS with a guest WinXP OS -- I'm hoping to eventually find replacements for all my Windows apps on the linux side.

Here's my problem. I wanted to install the supported/recommended kernel 2.6.8-2-386 on Debian 3.1. I couldn't find an iso for this. So, I found a netinstall iso for 2.6.18-4-686 and thought that I'd start with this kernel and in the worst case I could compile the kernel package for the older kernel and get it running afterwards. Well, I compiled 2.6.8-2-386 but I didn't have any luck getting it to boot (I think this is because I have SATA drives), so I thought I'd just try to install Parallels on my 2.6.18-4.686 kernel.

I followed the installation instructions in the guide and installed Paralles-2.2.2112-lin.deb successfully. My problem comes when I run parallels-config ... I get the message "Unable to find linux kernel source ...", and then I'm offered advice on how to get the kernel source.

So, I followed these instructions. I figure that I should really get the kernel headers for the supported 2.6.8-2-386 and I try "apt-get install kernel-headers-2.6.8-2-386"; response: "Couldn't find package ...". Then I tried ""apt-get install kernel-headers-2.6.18-4-686" to get the headers for my current kernel; response: "Couldn't find package ...".

I guess at this point I'm wondering:

1. Should this be so difficult?
    2. The supported kernels that are listed are so specific: if I can't find it or want to update my kernel in the future will I be able to and will Parallels still function? (if I can get it running in the first place)
    3. Would I be better off running another linux flavour like Ubuntu?

I'd be very appreciative for any guidance or input that anyone here may offer.

2. titetanium

titetanium Member

If you installed Debian with the 2.6.18-4-626 kernel, then you have the Etch repository. Can you post your /etc/apt/sources.list file? I think you need at least 2 lines:
    The second line should have the sources for your kernel in your repository, once you run:
    Code:
    apt-get update
    I would suggest running the following command to find the correct package you're looking for:
    Code:
    apt-get search linux-headers

3. kingdon

kingdon Bit poster

Titanium, thanks for your response. I think this problem is solved:) , kinda:confused: ! See below for more.

Here's my /etc/apt/sources.list:
    It looked the same before and after I ran 'apt-get update'.

When I do 'apt-cache search linux-headers' I get:
    After this I still received the same error from parallels-config: 'Unable to find linux kernel source ...'.

Previously I had installed linux-headers-2.6.18-4-686. But, in this search I noticed the headers for Xen and thought that maybe these would be related to my parallels-config issues. Since I couldn't decide which to get, and I'm lazy, I just took the brute-force approach and installed linux-headers-2.6.18-4-all.

Now paralles-config returns:
    I'll have to check this error:
    ... but I'm now a lot closer to getting Parallels working.

4. titetanium

titetanium Member

Looks like you need the libstdc++, libstdc++-dev packages to nail this error in the coffin.