Deleted a VM via Finder & not via Parallels -> can't remove the remaining files

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by mschool, Mar 1, 2009.

1. mschool

mschool Member

I've been a Parallels user since Ver1, and as such, I have been moving the same VM HDD through all of the upgrades. Recently my VM has been sluggish, and I read recently, that with the V3 to V4 upgrade, that it might be best to create a new machine. I did just that on Friday, and the new machine worked perfectly. Somehow, one of my software packages, ACT! 6.0 hung up during install, and the contact database did not function properly. I attempted a manual uninstall of the ACT! software using a deletion of the registry. When I was completed, I noticed that the new VM had only one command to operate: Stop. Everything else was greyed out. Instead of using Parallels to delete the VM, I deleted it via the Finder (big mistake). Now I have an 9GB HDD and 640MM Memory file that cannot be deleted. I looked on the knowledge base and can not find a workaround, and nothing in the manual. Can someone point me to an instruction as to how to delete these two files permanently? Thanks very much

Parallels 4.0
    VM: 2 CPUs, 512 X2
    36GB

iMac
    2.33 GHz Core 2 Duo
    2 GB 667 MHz DDR SDRAM

2. Peter Canasius J L

Peter Canasius J L Forum Maven

Hi mschool,

I request you to follow this direction to delete VM completely .

Open Parallels Desktop ( Do not start the VM ) => On the Menu Bar click on " File " => Click on " Remove " => Select the VM that you want to delete.

This should empty that 9 GB HDD and 640 MM Memory.